Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 14,100 times

Advertisements

Please name some good paying careers that mostly require a 2 year degree. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:44 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Well, what are you interested in?

An ADN will allow you to become a Registered Nurse but it usually takes longer than 2 yrs, much longer if you count in the waiting list time.

There are other allied health 2-yr programs (like x-ray tech, resp therapist) that pay fairly well. These programs are in high demand and you may find you are on a long wait list or have to get in by lottery or competitive admission.

Private colleges like Pima Medical and Apollo are starting to get accredited/authorized by the bodies that approve those kinds of programs. The wait lists are shorter or nonexistent but the price tag is high. A 2-yr RN program can run about $25-30K at one of those schools.

I think you can also find programs in the trades that will take about 2 yrs.

I only really know some about the allied health. Perhaps someone else will chime in about trades/IT type stuff.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Anything in the health field is worthwhile, provided you're into medical jobs.

Secretarial jobs. It may not be THE best pay in the world but there is a demand for it.

Occupational Therapy Assistant
Dental assisting

I'm not sure what community colleges are in your area but I'd be more than happy to help if you can tell me the names. I can check out the website and recommend.

Best of luck!!

Old 02-12-2009, 02:13 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
OTA sounds really interesting to me. I remember back in college I thought about applying to the OT program, but passed on it. If I could go back and tell the 22-year-old me to do it, I would.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Automotive Technician.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Anything in health.

Don't except lots of cash though. It'll probably land you a 10-30k/year job.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:54 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
nurse, database programming, police officer, fire fighter. Those are the few i can think of off the top of my head. Personally im going for entry level chemist in the medical field scientist or lab tech at a crime lab. Once i have my foot in the door, im hoping for a tuition repayment offer so i can pursue my bachelors or maybe even a masters. Unsure why i would need a PHD in chemistry or biochem.

Only doing as much as a retard can do

Last edited by shiphead; 02-13-2009 at 01:31 AM..

Old 02-13-2009, 06:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Kay, If I were you I would look at your local Community College's website, or even better make an appointment with a counselor there and talk to her or him about your future. Obviously, you have to have some sort of interest in order to succeed and be happy in any kind of career. The great thing about Community Colleges is that they fill a lot of different needs. Some people go there so they can learn and be certified in a specific career while others go to get two years of college under their belt before going on to a four year college.

Believe me, I've taken several jobs because they were short term or I thought that since they paid pretty well, I would be satisfied. What I found what there is nothing worse then waking up and dreading going to work because you don't like your job. The absolutely best thing you can do is find something that you like to do and figure out a way to get paid doing it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:05 AM

421 posts, read 1,727,171 times
Why can't you afford a four year degree? It will pay off in the end.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:54 AM
mgb

97 posts, read 260,858 times
Dental hygienist--starting pay is about $20hr but no benefits, since most are part-time. They usually work in 2 different offices to get enough hours in, which isn't really a bad deal. If you lose one job, you still have the other until you can find another practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities