Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 11:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,994,125 times

Advertisements

Let's say a graduate program advertised that it was good and ranked somewhat well in the prior years, no current ranking is available for the past 2 years which appears suspicious, but comes from a well-known university.

So, you make a huge effort to move there and find out the culture in the program is oppressive, offers poor quality communication from faculty and staff, half of the classes deviate too much from the actual major or are boring, are told by some faculty or staff that the degree isn't "that good anyways" (contradictory messages), and the classmates in general seem to be hostile and OCD.

Is that what is normal for graduate school atmosphere? or is this just "bait and switch advertising?" crazy/greedy people taking advantage of young people with money or loans? Once they have you committed to the program they think they can just suck the money out of you and not give you your monies worth, since they assume you are not going to get up and leave.

Or is all that part of a high quality "learning" experience?

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-20-2009 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 12:23 AM

985 posts, read 2,603,035 times
That doesn't sound normal to me at all. There are quite a few quirky people in academia but, in my experience, most people aren't hostile. And, when even the teachers say the program is useless, that is a huge warning sign imo. Is there any way you can transfer to a different school?

Old 02-20-2009, 05:21 PM

272 posts, read 731,008 times
I would complain like all heck.

I don't think you'd get far in trying to recover your losses. Higher education is definitely a buyer beware kind of transaction. But if it's as bad as you make it sound, I would camp in the president's office until I got some kind of sensible solution for getting out with as little damage as possible.

The College of Education in my graduate school had problems similar to some of what you describe, but it was so big you just learned to navigate around the really bad professors and courses.

Of course back then there was not as much money at stake. My whole Master's degree cost less than one graduate level course costs now. You almost couldn't afford not to go to school as long as possible.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:12 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,585,293 times
It doesn't take much for a graduate program to "go south" when key faculty depart (or are pushed out). My local university had a rather respected grad program in creative writing that devolved into nasty spats between students and professors until the program sort of became an embarrassment. A lot of childishness and egos on display, to the point where you just wanted to slap these folks to get them out of their little self-centered hothouse drama.

As the saying goes... "the reason why things get so bad in graduate school is because the stakes are so low..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities