Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 06:59 PM

129 posts, read 467,533 times

Advertisements

I need some help choosing a career path.

I have about 2 year's of Gen Ed'/and a lot of business courses.

I really have no idea what I want to do for a career. I'm thinking maybe something with banking or financial advising.

I would describe myself as somewhat introverted, inquisitive,more of a natural observer, intuitive, curious (love solving things), rather systematic....

I also get bored doing the same task day in and day out. So I do like change.

Some of my interests are traveling, the media, sports, reading, doing research...

One career I don't want is SALES. I don't know why, I just don't want to do that.

Any suggestions on what degree/career path I should go after?

Some programs I'm thinking of are:
Economics/Finance
Psychology
Journalism

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 07:29 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
My advice would be to take some time off, maybe a few years even, and think about it.

If you do not have an idea of what you want to do for a career or major then the "advice" from random strangers is not going to be of much help.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:36 PM

129 posts, read 467,533 times
Yeah I really just want to get my degree right now.

I think it will be a lot easier finding a job with a 4 year degree.

Most employers seem like they require them these days.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:47 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
When I was choosing my major I found these two resources VERY helpful.

BLS.gov - May 2007 National Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

and this

Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), 2008-09 Edition

You can use the above links to find out:

1. How many people are employed in a given field.
2. How much an occupation earns.
3. What education is required for that occupation.
4. What workers do on the job.
5. Working conditions.

Very detailed and what I've read it seems unbiased. If an industry is in decline or an occupation is in decline they will say why. They also list potential reasons the occupation could decline in the future. For example, one industry I was reading up on was carpet installers. They said the occupation could decline because of decline in home building and improvements in carpet technology (ie. carpets are made to last longer). You get the idea.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:35 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,596 times
I wouldn't recommend Psychology or Journalism.

Economics and Finance have potential, though.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:37 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,734 times
I would recommend Economics. It seems that you like research, and solving problems may be counter intuitive.

BTW, I think financial advising does involve the selling of investment products if I'm not mistaken, so even though you don't like sales, you might end up doing just that.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
I know I replied to your other thread, but after reading this I think you sound a lot like me. I basically guessed and fell into an economics program, and really ended up enjoying it. Psychology was my other choice, and a lot of economic studies are more behavioral now, which was another plus for me. Look up "behavioral economics" or "sports economics" online, or ask your professors. My roommate did her honors thesis on football.

As for choosing a lifelong career, I'm 2 years out of college and am still working on it. Of the interests listed above, I'd go for Econ/Finance or Psychology. These give you enough knowledge to get a job, yet aren't specific enough to pigeon-hole you in one career. Most people change careers a few times now, anyway, so don't stress on the idea that what you pick now determines the rest of your future. For now, choose something you like and can see yourself doing. Work hard, do your best, and you should be fine.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:44 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
If you are currently attending a college why don't you go to the career services center? They should be able to help you figure out a few paths to explore.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:23 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
If you are currently attending a college why don't you go to the career services center? They should be able to help you figure out a few paths to explore.
Also, talk to the professors in the fields of your interest. Keep in mind that they will generally advocate their own departments, but they can still give you good information on what sort of career you'd be looking at (and what would be in store for graduate school, should you decide to go). Explain what you're interested in, and ask how the particular program can work to further those interests (i.e. specific coursework, research opportunities, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities