Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:41 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times

Advertisements

I notice that a lot of northern colleges only use summer pictures when they send information to high school students. It seems like they want the students to think it's always warm and sunny at the college. Since this is obviously far from the truth at northern colleges, why do they do this? If they think the college is so good, shouldn't they portray the reality of the college? Are they trying to attract students? Do they think fewer students will choose the college if they portray the reality? I don't know about you, but I say colleges shouldn't be so misleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 02:44 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I notice that a lot of northern colleges only use summer pictures when they send information to high school students. It seems like they want the students to think it's always warm and sunny at the college. Since this is obviously far from the truth at northern colleges, why do they do this? If they think the college is so good, shouldn't they portray the reality of the college? Are they trying to attract students? Do they think fewer students will choose the college if they portray the reality? I don't know about you, but I say colleges shouldn't be so misleading.
If a student goes to school in Michigan and doesnt know that it gets cold there then maybe they shouldnt be in college.

Schools always portray the best of what they have. Why dont some schools show pictures of their disgusting dorm showers mid semester? Are they being dishonest?

Old 03-14-2009, 03:02 PM

I am not saying students are unaware of the fact it gets cold in certain states. I just think some students might overlook the fact that it gets cold if they love the pictures. They might like other aspects of the college too and then think the college is right for them. They might say they can handle the winters, but then change their mind when winter comes. Knowing a college gets cold and actually experiencing the college in the winter are two different things.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:17 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
I don't think a seeing a winter scene of a college will give someone an adequate idea of what living there means. Let's reverse this a little bit. Why don't Florida's colleges portray life with palmetto bugs and sweat-stained shorts from the horrible humidity?

Old 03-14-2009, 03:53 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
It's called marketing. A major within the Business Administration department.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:20 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
My Boston area college has a lovely snow spread photo on some of the brochures. That doesn't give the reality of schlepping up the big hill on campus in a blizzard but what do you expect the school to do, ship ice to the student with a note "see what you'd be missing if you don't come to X University?"

Old 03-14-2009, 11:50 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I am not saying students are unaware of the fact it gets cold in certain states. I just think some students might overlook the fact that it gets cold if they love the pictures. They might like other aspects of the college too and then think the college is right for them. They might say they can handle the winters, but then change their mind when winter comes. Knowing a college gets cold and actually experiencing the college in the winter are two different things.
wouldn't it be equally misleading for schools in the South and West Coast to not show prospective students how hot/humid it can get? should a school in Washington state display more pictures of gray skies and and rain drenched campuses? should schools in the South state in their brochures how humid it can be and show pictures of the giant bugs common there, as mentioned by fjtee? should schools in hurricane country (eg, Tulane) give students a heads up on the possibility of a hurricane hitting the campus, perhaps show some pictures of sandbagged roads (I admit, this is a more extreme example)? I know I personally couldn't handle a hot, humid climate, much prefer a cold climate. IMO, it's much easier to deal w/ cold climate than with humid hot climate. at least when it's cold, I can bundle up and snow won't be as much of an issue if the school and city shovels and ices the sidewalks and roads; in the summer, you'll be relying on indoor AC for large chunks of the school year (and god help you in the AC if your dorm is busted!)

but yeah, i don't think students looking at schools in New England/other cold areas are clueless about the fact that it gets cold and snows up there. it's not like they're going to look at a picture of a snow covered NE campus and think "OMG, it SNOWS up there!? forget this school!" there's always going to be a bit of a shock when moving to an area w/ a climate unlike the one you're used to, whether you're moving from a hot climate to a cold climate or the reverse (or a fairly dry climate to a more humid climate)

Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 AM

The thing is, those sunny pictures of Southern colleges may very well have been taken in the summer. So they are showing students what the campus is like in the summer. And as far as New England colleges go...the thought of snow might be in the back of someone's mind if they see a sunny picture but they might suddenly realize they don't want to go if they see snow in the picture. And I have a real life example of Pacific Northwest colleges. I visited the University of Washington over the summer and I ended up applying. I know it gets cloudy in the winter but it's hard to forget how nice that summer day was.

I guess some of this just has to do with opinion and preferences. I prefer heat over cold.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN (actually in the southern part of the state), shows rotating pictures of the campus on its website, with some winter shots. MN is famous for winter, and the campus is beautiful in the snow.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I don't think it's uncommon for websites to show current pictures but the viewbooks are usually Spring pictures no matter what part of the country. It's the prettiest season. Besides, 80% of the students end up going to school in their own state or the next one over - I think they know what the weather is like.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities