Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times

Advertisements

I don't have children and got my own degree years ago so I'm not up on these things but is anyone majoring in new fields of study? What are they? For example, do language departments have many people majoring in languages of the Middle East these days? Majoring in Chinese studies? What kind of science is the hottest major these days? What's the big tech major these days? To what types of careers will these majors lead?

If you were thinking about some field related to Homeland Security, what would be the "got to have" major at college?

I recently heard that long time video game players are desired by the military to pilot unmanned aerial vehicles and wondered if there is a major these same people take in college to to complement those skills.

What majors are pretty much passe these days from, let's say, compared to 20 years ago? I remember, during the cold war period, a kid in my class said he was going to major in Russian studies and I'm thinking now that may not be a hot field anymore. Also, with reporters falling in esteem in the eyes of the public, compared to 20 - 30 years ago (now people want to be opinion jockeys), have the journalism majors been on the decline? What major is going nowhere after graduation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:33 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Don't answer this. I put it in the wrong forum. Will repost it.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:05 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,870,563 times
I'd say the hot major is going to be nursing and anything medical related due to the baby boomers.

The failure majors have always been psychology, communications and so on.

I would stay away from any non-traditional major. Degree in homeland security? Pass on it, go for the criminal justice degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities