Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Too Much Emphasis Placed on Getting A Four-Year Degree in the U.S.?
Yes 51 66.23%
No 26 33.77%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:54 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times

Advertisements

There is a plethora of information on the internet about why attending college or a university is not for everyone, yet millions of American parents insist that their children do so. Do you believe our country has too much of an elitist attitude in terms of education and the workforce? Would many people be better off (and happier) attending trade schools and community colleges for something other an Associates or Bachelor's degree? Any other concerns or comments, please express them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
OMG yes and most 4 year degrees are not even worth it. Computer science, engineering, accounting, IT, and teacher education/ certificate are the only ones that are worth anything.

Everything else is virtually a rip off.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:04 PM

345 posts, read 642,979 times
It stems from the mentality (or truth, I guess) that someone with a bachelor's is worth far more than someone without one in the workforce. It's gotten to the point where someone with a rather useless liberal arts degree is far more likely to get a job in any given field than someone who's highest education is a high school diploma, even if both people would be equally competent in said field.

I personally am in a position where I'm attending a 4-year school, but because of a few mistakes I made early on in my college career (which I take responsibility for), I'm a couple years behind most of my high school peers (which isn't that big a deal) but also oodles in student loan debt, with much more to come. That's the biggest annoyance to me, that students typically have to dig themselves deep into debt just to have a chance in the job market.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 PM

242 posts, read 788,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
It stems from the mentality (or truth, I guess) that someone with a bachelor's is worth far more than someone without one in the workforce. It's gotten to the point where someone with a rather useless liberal arts degree is far more likely to get a job in any given field than someone who's highest education is a high school diploma, even if both people would be equally competent in said field.

I personally am in a position where I'm attending a 4-year school, but because of a few mistakes I made early on in my college career (which I take responsibility for), I'm a couple years behind most of my high school peers (which isn't that big a deal) but also oodles in student loan debt, with much more to come. That's the biggest annoyance to me, that students typically have to dig themselves deep into debt just to have a chance in the job market.
I agree ^^ I am increasingly noticing alot of jobs requiring college degrees or college courses required. Even for a secretary. I think its a means to weed people out. They figure you went to college and learned some skills on time management or that you are good at finishing what you start, etc. I worked in human resources at my last job and for them to even entertain your resume you had to have a college degree even the secretaries had to have bachelors degree's.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 PM

345 posts, read 642,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
I agree ^^ I am increasingly noticing alot of jobs requiring college degrees or college courses required. Even for a secretary. I think its a means to weed people out. They figure you went to college and learned some skills on time management or that you are good at finishing what you start, etc. I worked in human resources at my last job and for them to even entertain your resume you had to have a college degree even the secretaries had to have bachelors degree's.
Yeah, I meant to add that in as somewhat of a counterpoint - that seeing something through from start to finish shows a certain level of dedication and commitment. Still doesn't justify the cost >.<

Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
Absolutely. I think education is valuable but it doesn't all have to be 4-year degrees or else you're a nobody. Parents want their kids to do well but that shouldn't mean that Junior gets a B.S. in Business because mom and dad think it will secure him a comfortable future. What if he wants to build things instead? Does he need a 4-year degree to become a carpenter? Or a glass blower?

There's nothing wrong with trade schools or apprenticeships at all! We NEED more skilled tradespeople in our country to reintroduce quality in our markets, and you definitely don't need a 4-year degree to design, build, carve, stitch or bake. Making fine goods is becoming a lost art. Most of what I find in stores are the cheap mass produced products shipped in from overseas.

I think I need to stop ranting...haha...

But yeah, there's a stigma placed on those that choose to do blue-collar work, as if it's 'uneducated' work. That's simply not true.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
It is interesting that most developing countries say furthering their educational system is the key to the growth of their nation, and yet we in America take it for granted. There are people all over the world who practically give up eating to send their children to school. Education is not worthless. If you get your degree for the purpose of a higher paycheck, you might be disappointed, but that is NOT the point of education. If you feel that way you will never really be educated (no matter how much you learn). Education is invaluable for personal and societal growth, and learning from people who have spent their lives researching into a topic is never a bad thing.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:35 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
hnsq,

I agree. Not only for personal and societal growth, but many times having the opportunity to make a living doing something that one knows how to do and ENJOYS what they are doing. If money is the only motivator in terms of what one does for a living, that does not necessarily mean that that individual will be happy; just that he/she makes more money.

Spending 40 hours a week or so at work is much easier when one actually enjoys and believes in what they are doing, as opposed to just working to earn a pay check. At the end is about quality of life.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:05 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
The people doing the hiring have degrees, so they will most likely hire someone with a degree as opposed to without. They put in the time, cost and sacrifice to get a degree, so they're less likely to hire someone without one. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. Like artsyguy said, only specialized degrees are worth the paper they are printed on, the rest are all nonsense. I've got several friends with Business Management degrees and years of corporate experience and they are unemployed. Now everyone wants MBA's, which are just glorified B.A.'s.

As for the trades, you'll find the better jobs in the civil service arena...cops, fireman, post office etc. There are also decent driving jobs out there for truck and bus drivers if you get a commercial license. Greyhound and UPS are good companies to work for, though UPS is a little harder to get in full time. Construction jobs are filled by immigrants for less pay, so it's hard to get in unless you want to work for reduced wages. The union jobs require connections, if you aren't juiced in you aren't getting the job.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:45 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Yes. I think so many people having them decreases the value of them. Unfortunately, the economy only needs so many degreed professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities