Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 05:22 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I worked fulltime and went to school fulltime. I did lousy at work--got poor reviews--but I managed to do good at school. This was beyond difficult--I don't recommend anyone doing what I did.
Especially in this economy. Getting lousy reviews with so many out of work wouldn't be a smart move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 AM

62 posts, read 218,753 times
He could join the army, wipe away the student loans, and pay on the cc bill. He would have free food, housing, clothing provided and opportunities to travel to exotic places like Afghanistan.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:09 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2942 View Post
He could join the army, wipe away the student loans, and pay on the cc bill. He would have free food, housing, clothing provided and opportunities to travel to exotic places like Afghanistan.
I wish I had done that. ...I'm too old now...but my son's been in delta force for 16 years. He has a good income, earned a masters degree, knows a bunch of languages--I'm real proud of him and am grateful for having the high honor of being his dad.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:48 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hernan Castillo is treading water, trying to survive under the weight of $5,200 in credit card debt and $30,000 in student loans. He’s making payments on time, but the Orange County, Calif., resident sees little hope for getting out of the warehouse job he holds and landing a job as an accountant, the field in which he earned his degree.

College grad: ‘I wish I’d gone to prison instead’ - The Red Tape Chronicles - MSNBC.com (http://redtape.msnbc.com/2009/05/college-debt-so-crushing-grad-says-i-wish-id-gone-to-prison-instead.html#posts - broken link)
Unless you're turned on by being repeatedly raped and beaten up, I don't think Prison could ever be better than College.

Plus, these idiots are talking as if this is a good economy and a college degree is hurting them. It's a bad economy, and when it recovers, the people with degrees will surely be more employable than those without.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:00 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I wish I had done that. ...I'm too old now...but my son's been in delta force for 16 years. He has a good income, earned a masters degree, knows a bunch of languages--I'm real proud of him and am grateful for having the high honor of being his dad.

Absolutely!! Anyone who says "I can't afford college" I say one thing to them: ROTC. The military will pay for you to go to the college of your choice if you committ to them a specified time after graduation to be an officer.

Plus, you're guaranteed a job right out of college as a manager, where else can you say that?

Old 08-29-2009, 05:39 AM

62 posts, read 218,753 times
Yep, anyone who is under 42 without a disability, can get a job. It just is not the job that they want. It is a choice. But please don't whine any more about no jobs.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:54 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2942 View Post
Yep, anyone who is under 42 without a disability, can get a job. It just is not the job that they want. It is a choice. But please don't whine any more about no jobs.
I couldn't get a job at McDonalds despite being one year off from my bachelor's degree and bilingual in English/Spanish. I only WISH there were jobs for everyone who wants them.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:47 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I couldn't get a job at McDonalds despite being one year off from my bachelor's degree and bilingual in English/Spanish. I only WISH there were jobs for everyone who wants them.
Me too. But I believe there will be jobs for all again one day...meanwhile, I'll just run my crappy little business.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:42 AM

354 posts, read 749,590 times
it all boils down to COMMON SENSE and being SMART with money handling. i have both. result: im jobless and homeless. but hey at least i'm debt free! and currently cruising US via my PAID IN FULL 06 MINI. and living off my savings. my point is: my family has been pestering me to go to school here but i said no. why? because im done with school i have been to 5 diff schools and 5 diff courses. all undergrad. i only managed to finish a 2 yr programming course before i came in US. u might think my job is PC related. of course not! my reason also is coz i know finishing school here will NEVER land me the DREAM job. why? because i KNOW a college degree is not the ONLY factor in getting the job. u have to have the social skills, personality and EXPERIENCE in the job u are applying not to mention u have to have a good NETWORK aka relatives,friends in the company u are applying. so i KNOW i will just be WASTING MY TIME and be buried in debt and jobless if go to school here.

oh my being debt free is due to the FACT that I DO NOT SPEND MONEY I KNOW I DONT HAVE OR KNOW THAT I CAN'T PAY!! PLUS I HATE PAYING INTEREST. that's why i paid off my car in just 1 yr and half's time.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:48 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Absolutely!! Anyone who says "I can't afford college" I say one thing to them: ROTC. The military will pay for you to go to the college of your choice if you committ to them a specified time after graduation to be an officer.

Plus, you're guaranteed a job right out of college as a manager, where else can you say that?
Yes, but if you join the military, you could get killed. My 12-year-old son keeps saying he wants to join the Marines! If you join, you are SENT where they want to send you, correct? I don't want him in a war!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities