Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:17 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,253 times

Advertisements

I need some advice if there is any to receive.

I am currently in a situation where if I take 18 credits in the fall and Spring, I can finish my undergrad this May! Woot! Only problem is that I have terrible ADD.....Okay, I doubt I have terrible ADD, as I can focus just fine on subjects I am interested in. College professors have a knack at boring me, so I tend to day dream while in class and doing assignments.

Is there a diet I can practice that has been proven to help concentration? My aunt told me she practices the south beach diet and it helps her focus immensely.

More specifically, she said to avoid wheat at all costs. I guess some studies have been published that link wheat to ADD and autism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:26 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,742 times
I always found yogurt and oatmeal breakfast foods to be very satisfying w/o a gazillion calories. Eat a good breakfast, and snack wisely throughout the day. Fruits and vegetables are safe snacks, which you can eat w/o having to stress about calories.Why not just try and eat smaller portions of foods? Also, try and eat lighter foods. As you get used to eating lighter foods, your body will feel lighter. Drink a lot of water as well. One more thing. STAY AWAY FROM ALCHOHOL. That is a diet destroyer.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

I am currently in a situation where if I take 18 credits in the fall and Spring, I can finish my undergrad this May! Woot! Only problem is that I have terrible ADD.....Okay, I doubt I have terrible ADD, as I can focus just fine on subjects I am interested in. College professors have a knack at boring me, so I tend to day dream while in class and doing assignments.

Is there a diet I can practice that has been proven to help concentration? My aunt told me she practices the south beach diet and it helps her focus immensely.

More specifically, she said to avoid wheat at all costs. I guess some studies have been published that link wheat to ADD and autism.

I have always heard to eat your veggies and have some fruit because it FEEDS THE BRAIN and IT'S ALSO VERY GOOD FOR YOU, also some Yogurt or nice hot oatmeal in the a.m. helps you at least stay focus until you can have something more solid later on.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,318,333 times
No junk foods, less refined sugar, less fat [but butter should be part of yout diet - I mean REAL butter, not spreads - and olive oil in salad], cereal, milk and other dairy, fruit, veggies... and don't forget to have at least one serving of protein every day, especially fish.
Snack on dried or fresh fruit, not on chocolate bars or whatever. Drink water and fruit juices (sugar free is better)
And if you can avoid alcohol and medicines (unless you have a prescription from a doctor), that's all the better because they kill concentration!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:07 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,120 times
My kids calmed down a bunch when we got rid of food coloring and MSG and added fish oils to their diet. Magnesium can help too.

Also, a holistic person also recommended we try DMAE for things like ADD, however, have not tried it yet (can see more about it on line).

Old 06-17-2009, 07:03 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Don't forget to exercise!!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:

I'm not "officially" ADD but I have had three doctors suggest that I may be. I find B vitamins help. I also find simply having more on my plate makes me focus. When you know you only have x amount of time to do something, you have to do it.

Don't go low carb (or high carb), so south beach just might work. It avoids both extremes. I've never tried it but I know that low carb throws you into lipoketosis and your brain doesn't function well and high carb results in excess energy followed by a crash.

I'd suggest you run any diet by your doctor before you start it though.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,587 times
Quote:

A diet is a method of restricting calories to experience the effect of temporary weight loss; this has nothing to do with improving cognitive capability's or enhancing concentration; in fact, it might make things worse.

Mind you, as the other posters have said, if you clean up the foods you eat by shopping at Trader Joe's or some type of whole foods store you will see improvement in your thinking all around.

As far as improving your concentration take pharmaceutical grade fish oils and a product called DRIVE.

Hope this helps...

Welcome to Nordic Naturals

TESTOSTERONE NATION - Power Drive

Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I find B vitamins help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
Also, a holistic person also recommended we try DMAE for things like ADD, however, have not tried it yet (can see more about it on line).
You both are right as these ingredents are in the Power Drive product I recomended.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:01 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
Read Flik's post in the banana ban thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities