Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 06:31 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,847,184 times

Advertisements

I currently have a bachelors degree in Marketing. I worked in my field for 3.5 years(1 of those years as an internship). I stopped working during the third trimester of my pregnancy and have not been back to work since(it's been a year). When I was working in my field--I didn't really like the type of work I was doing, and realized that I didn't really have a passion for marketing(or at least the type of marketing I was doing). Since taking time off, I am now interested in a field that is a bit more mom friendly and that I actually enjoy doing. I've found various undergrad programs that I'm interested in, and a few grad programs. After talking to admissions at one school I was looking at, the admission counselor told me about enrolling as an adult student. I would basically transfer previous credits from when I received my bachelors(the general requirements) and basically just take courses in the field of my choosing(i.e. if it was public relations I was just take all public relations electives and core courses, without having to take math, science, etc). This path interested me, because I'm not sure if I'm interested in getting a masters in the field I am looking at. My question is has anyone does this--enrolled as an adult student, after previously getting a bachelors, and went on to get a second bachelors?
Or should I just get a masters anyway(even though I'm not really interested in that right now).

Any input would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 06:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
going to school is fun and esp dreaming about sexy exciting careers. reality stinks.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,168,625 times
sounds like they were doing a sales pitch. depending on the field you can probably work your way in there without a degree in the specific field (as long as you have a degree in general which you do) without the cost.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,308,373 times
Unless you are completely changing career focus (like going from having an English degree to wanting to be an engineer) a master's degree is the logical progression. Get an MPA or an MA in Communication, etc.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
sounds like they were doing a sales pitch. depending on the field you can probably work your way in there without a degree in the specific field (as long as you have a degree in general which you do) without the cost.
I've tried(in the past) and I have not been able to make the transition and work my way up to what I would like to be doing(even with my degree).

Old 06-21-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Unless you are completely changing career focus (like going from having an English degree to wanting to be an engineer) a master's degree is the logical progression. Get an MPA or an MA in Communication, etc.

Thank you for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities