Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:40 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times

Advertisements

My daughter is off to college in September (studying biotech) and she'll need a computer. We visited a few campuses and everyone has a laptop. Should we go for the standard size laptop or pay a little more and get one of the ones with the 17" screen:

Positives
- Easier to see; no need for a separate monitor
- Larger keyboard
- Has the numeric keyboard on the right side

Negatives
- Shorter battery life (but she won't be on plane; AC is all over campus)
- Bulkier
- Heavier

Dell and HP have some nice 17" laptops. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
I wouldn't go with size so much as whatever provided the highest resolution.

It should last her the entire four years.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:06 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,731 times
Post your question in Science & Tech/Computers.

There are wonderful techies that will give you valuable help.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:35 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
My daughter is off to college in September (studying biotech) and she'll need a computer. We visited a few campuses and everyone has a laptop. Should we go for the standard size laptop or pay a little more and get one of the ones with the 17" screen:

Positives
- Easier to see; no need for a separate monitor
- Larger keyboard
- Has the numeric keyboard on the right side

Negatives
- Shorter battery life (but she won't be on plane; AC is all over campus)
- Bulkier
- Heavier

Dell and HP have some nice 17" laptops. Any recommendations?
Macs and some HP come with 17 inches.

But portability is more important with a laptop. A 17 incher is going to be a pain to carry around.

The following model from Dell is tailor-made for students in the technical domains like engineering, bio-tech and research.

Dell even lets you intensify the config if you prefer more memory and higher processor speed.

Dell Precision M2400 Mobile Workstation
Dell Precision Mobile Workstations
Laptops for specialized professionals in industries such as design, engineering, architecture, and finance, or businesses who run demanding applications.

14 inches is not too bad

Old 06-01-2009, 05:18 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
I would take the weight into account. I took my notebook everywhere with me while in college. Between the computer and my books, it was a heavy load. During that time, I always wished I had a lighter computer.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:55 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Don't buy anything until you get information from her college. They will most likely have certain requirements and deals.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
Thanks to all. I found the college's requirements/recommendations online so that helps. Talking to a few people, the 17" is too large and I should get something smaller/lighter....

Old 06-03-2009, 07:27 AM

628 posts, read 1,315,713 times
Mac Book Pro

Old 06-05-2009, 08:35 AM

157 posts, read 493,855 times
def not EVERYBODY has laptop

in a university there should be plenty of computer labs she could use.

after she gets into major, she will have access to her own department's computer lab, which is in same building as most of her classes are, I went thru my undergrad without laptop and did not feel any inconvenience with it. However now I'm in grad school, a laptop comes in much more handy than before

to me, laptop is a luxury item for undergrad------of course it depends on how easy can you afford one, also depends on her major.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,784,659 times
I would highly recommend against a 17inch laptop.
I have a 15.4 (or 15.6, can't remember) laptop and I hate it too.
I would honestly look for a 14.1 inch if I could find one. They tend to be a couple hundred more than the 15inchers and about the same price as the 17inch ones...

Having a big laptop is cool for a few days, or weeks, when you want to watch movies, play games, etc...but once the semester is in full swing and you realize what a pain it is to lug around such a big laptop, you realize how much it sucks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities