Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:54 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times

Advertisements

I think they changed their methodology because there are major changes from last year's list. Economics, biology, and theater arts/drama are no longer in the top 10. One problem that I have is that they asked if the person felt underpaid. I don't think that's really relevant unless you're comparing salary to the cost of the degree to calculate return on investment. You either need a degree or you don't for the position you have. Feeling underpaid is subjective. They did also ask if the person is working part-time but wants to work full-time and if they're using their education/training.

However, I truly do believe that criminal justice majors have a high underemployment rate. People like to argue with me on this, but criminal justice majors tend to be underemployed because they take jobs that don't require a bachelor's degree: police, corrections, security, etc. Honestly, they don't qualify for much else. Even among the 100 largest cities and 100 largest police departments (these lists are different), only 4-16% of them require a bachelor's degree. Overall, only 1% of police departments require a bachelor's degree. These numbers don't include federal law enforcement agencies; but, even then, most of them do not require a criminal justice degree. In some cases, having a criminal justice degree can hurt your chances of getting a job in a federal law enforcement agency.

Last year, business management/administration was #1 and criminal justice and theater arts/drama were #2.

Most Underemployed Majors
Criminal Justice
Business Management & Administration
Health Care Administration
General Studies
Sociology
English Language & Literature
Graphic Design
Liberal Arts
Education
Psychology

Least Underemployed Majors
Civil & Environmental Engineering
Aerospace Engineering
Computer Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Law (??? this list is supposed to be undergraduate majors only)
Physics
Mechanical Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Geology
Mathematics

PayScale | Most Underemployed Majors
The college majors most and least likely to lead to underemployment - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 06:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,026 times
Business is like law in that if you're not going to one of the top elite schools don't even bother

Old 09-25-2014, 04:13 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Business is like law in that if you're not going to one of the top elite schools don't even bother
Really? I don't know anyone that went to a "top elite" school and every business major I know was employed within months of graduation.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:44 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
sounds about right. education to better oneself is great but education in a generic field like "graphic design" which is one I hear mentioned often is an expensive investment. One should know which fields have job shortages and good pay before they start....

Old 09-26-2014, 08:17 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,494,267 times
Quote:
This is true if you are extremely narrow minded and think in linear terms only.

The problem with these rankings - like most rankings - is that they assume a major is the only thing that correlates with employment. Of course there are an infinite number of factors that go into how "employable" a person is like soft skills, experience, intelligence, drive, etc. etc. A graphic design major with internship experience at Ogilvy will have employers beating down her door. Likewise, an awkward gelology major with no experience will have a tough time in the job market.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:23 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
That list said "business management and administration" - which is just one of many business majors. You don't have to go to Penn to earn a finance or accounting degree to have a good job.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:54 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I think they changed their methodology because there are major changes from last year's list. Economics, biology, and theater arts/drama are no longer in the top 10. One problem that I have is that they asked if the person felt underpaid. I don't think that's really relevant unless you're comparing salary to the cost of the degree to calculate return on investment. You either need a degree or you don't for the position you have. Feeling underpaid is subjective. They did also ask if the person is working part-time but wants to work full-time and if they're using their education/training.

No, I think it's quite relevant. I suggests that some people go into these fields knowing what to expect salary wise from an entry level position, and are okay with the outcome. It was a conscious decision. They perceive they are being paid around what everyone else who does that job gets paid. So there really isn't a problem there at all, just for people who want to make point about how useless someone else's major/life choices are. LOL

It's the people who major in something expecting to do X kind of job with Y salary upon graduation, and then find that they have to settle for less than what they expected (or feel they deserve), that are more relevant to the discussion of who is actually "underemployed" IMO.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
In the underemployed list, "liberal arts" takes in a lot, basically all the "subject" majors, from English to science. In fact, Sociology, English Language and literature, and psychology fall under liberal arts. IME, an undergrad business degree is considered "fluff". That's what the football players at my university majored in. I believe Health Care Admin is generally a master's level program as well. An undergrad degree in HCA may not mean much to an employer.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:02 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,893 times
I wonder how my major (Speech-Language Pathology) fits into this category. Anyone know?

Old 09-26-2014, 11:32 PM

778 posts, read 823,169 times
My major is too niche to be on any of these lists. Just wingin' it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities