Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,627,335 times

Advertisements

Daily Bruin: A crowd of more than 500 demonstrators rushed Covel Commons on Wednesday to protest a proposed 32 percent student fee increase. They were met by dozens of university police, some of whom were outfitted in riot gear. At one point, protesters broke through police barricades that surrounded the main entrance to Covel.

Breitbart.tv » Dramatic Footage: Near Riots at UCLA Over Proposed 32% Tuition Hike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 04:56 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,946,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Daily Bruin: A crowd of more than 500 demonstrators rushed Covel Commons on Wednesday to protest a proposed 32 percent student fee increase. They were met by dozens of university police, some of whom were outfitted in riot gear. At one point, protesters broke through police barricades that surrounded the main entrance to Covel.

Breitbart.tv » Dramatic Footage: Near Riots at UCLA Over Proposed 32% Tuition Hike
Only in the Peoples Republic of California can you find such a group of greedy, non-contributing, self entitled, over indulged spoiled babies. Their slogans appear to come right out of the 1960's cultural revolution in red China.

Take the state out of education because to have a taxpayer foot any part of the cost so someone else can maybe enjoy a higher standard of living is dishonesty and theft from people who earned the money. Demanding so much and the protesters have yet to contribute monetarily to the system. Simply amazing.

What is happening at the California schools is just the surface, the tip of the iceberg of what is going to happen across all of America in every category. Basically, if you go for decades not paying for what things actually cost, eventually you are going to be faced with a whopping huge bill just to get your foot in the door.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:37 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,251,985 times
I remember when I was still living in California back in 1996. In that year, community colleges (at least in Sacramento), went from $7 a credit to $11 a credit. I kid you not, community college students practically rioted over this.

Community colleges (in Sacramento) are now at what, $26 a credit? And even with that, and the 32% rate hike at the universities, California students still pay the lowest price in the country for one of (if not) the best public college systems. UCLA, for example, is still under $15,000 a year for residents ($26,000 with dorm).

Old 11-21-2009, 04:44 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,894,669 times
I think this is just a small preview of the riots/uproar thats going to happen in 5-10 years (across the country) when people realize they've been had by this gargantuan college scam. In what other business can you raise fees by 32% for a product that's been losing its value for decades!

You wonder whats going to happen in 10 years when you have a sea of worthless degrees, and gen x and y are expected to support 70 million baby boomers retiring?!? There's something wrong with this picture.

I wouldn't necessarily say spoiled babies. I would say brainwashed babies. Brainwashed into thinking college is the only choice.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:38 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,307,800 times
What other industry can continually raise its prices year after year and never be held accountable for its product?

If it was not for CHEAP student loans, colleges would be forced to reexamine some of the programs that they offer.

It bothers me that when I was an undergraduate, professors taught four classes. Many now teach TWO classes, leaving the BULK of the teaching to graduate assistants.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Take the state out of education because to have a taxpayer foot any part of the cost so someone else can maybe enjoy a higher standard of living is dishonesty and theft from people who earned the money.
Yeah, the world would be much better if only kids from well to do families were able to go to school. It will be great fun, sorta like Europe circa a couple hundred years ago.

In terms of the students making contributions....well duh. They are students and providing them education is suppose to be an investment in the future. But of course Americans tend to only think about tomorrow.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It bothers me that when I was an undergraduate, professors taught four classes. Many now teach TWO classes, leaving the BULK of the teaching to graduate assistants.
Professors still teach 3~4 classes a semester at non-research colleges/universities, e.g., Community colleges and Cal states. Professors have much less teaching responsibilities at research universities (e.g., the UC system) because their job is mixed between research and education. Its been this way for a rather long time.

Graduate students rarely lead lectures in the UC system, rather they run the discussion section. When graduate students do run a course, they are essentially professors. After all there is not a magical transformation that occurs during graduation. A 5th~6th year ph.d student is not going to be much different than a fresh graduate.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:37 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,196,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yeah, the world would be much better if only kids from well to do families were able to go to school. It will be great fun, sorta like Europe circa a couple hundred years ago.

In terms of the students making contributions....well duh. They are students and providing them education is suppose to be an investment in the future. But of course Americans tend to only think about tomorrow.
California HAS to think about tomrrow. And the next day. And the day after that. Because they have a $27B deficit. They already invoked an involuntary loan from taxpayers by increasing withholding taxes by 10%.

What do you propose as a solution?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,969,846 times
What do you mean by that ha ha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

I wouldn't necessarily say spoiled babies. I would say brainwashed babies. Brainwashed into thinking college is the only choice.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
California HAS to think about tomrrow. And the next day. And the day after that. Because they have a $27B deficit. They already invoked an involuntary loan from taxpayers by increasing withholding taxes by 10%.

What do you propose as a solution?
California has been ignoring tomorrow for decades, its a bit hard to solve a problem that has been 2-3 decades in the making.

Cutting funding to universities is not going to help the state long term, it will just help with the budget a bit short term. This is why California may become Michigan #2, it is going to have to do things that kill its future prosperity in order to solve fiscal problems today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities