Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 PM

170 posts, read 399,424 times

Advertisements

Federal suit planned against UC over ban on affirmative action - latimes.com

Instead of filing lawsuits, these racists should try and IMPROVE test scores amongst their favorite racial groups. It seems they've given up, however, accepted mediocrity and are now forcing schools to lower their standards. Too bad the hippies who run the UC system aren't defending the students who ARE admitted. The chancellors should DEMAND higher test scores rather than allow the UC's to turn into just an extension of high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 05:21 PM

287 posts, read 547,494 times
Admissions should be based on straight academics, where would we be as a country if anyone could become president? Affirmative action is preposterous, I am an Asian male that graduated from UC Irvine, I got accepted there because I worked hard. It isn’t fair that someone who earns a whole grade point lower than I did gets accepted just because they are black, white, brown, purple, yellow or red. It should be based solely on academics and extracurricular/community activities. You don’t see the IOC handing out gold medals to countries just because they want it to be evenly distributed do you? Gold medalists earn their gold medals because of their countless hours practice and dedication.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,090,287 times
If they want affirmative action of some sort it should be based off of socio-economics, not race. I was a poor white girl. I went to the same schools as the poor Hispanics. Yet, with most schools they would get extra "points" because of the color of their skin. Shoot, a rich black kid who went to a prep school would get those same benfits.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:53 PM

287 posts, read 547,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
If they want affirmative action of some sort it should be based off of socio-economics, not race. I was a poor white girl. I went to the same schools as the poor Hispanics. Yet, with most schools they would get extra "points" because of the color of their skin. Shoot, a rich black kid who went to a prep school would get those same benfits.
I am completely fine with Affirmative Action based on socio-economic factors. That's what should be implemented. But establishing quotas base on race is ridiculous and absurd.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,291,775 times
Move admission standards AWAY from standardized test scores while promote an un-American culture in academics. Instead, move to a standard of accomplishment, risk, contribution, and innovation. Will promote excellence far more than the silly SAT-AP culture we now see, one that favors kids who do little but study for grades and tests.

It will change the racial demographics slightly, but will leave it much more acceptable the taxpayer who wants to see the "best" students at her best universities. It will also send a signal to students as to how to approach university admissions.

S.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,166,621 times
Agree, need to eliminate the aff action nonsense
We have our first aff action community organizer-in-chief and the prior one was a legacy admit, both products of "leading" colleges and illustrious post-college "careers"
No one metric is ideal but stdzd test scores are easiest academic cutoffs
Any more squishy factors yield Stanford/Harvard-like admissions with various unwritten quotas for Jews, legacies, Indians, Chinese, athletes, "minorities" (i.e., not Asian), females, wealthy foreigners, etc etc
Funny thing about admissions quotas is really don't see many "minorities" at Stanford (or Berkeley) opting for ComputerScience or at Wharton opting for Finance

But, not a lot of Jews or Indians playing in the NBA or NFL, yet ~50% of engineers in SV are Indians or other non-US-born guys
Real world tends to sort out the nonsense of aff action, legacies, etc vs relevant job skills....private employers need to earn a profit to survive; colleges (and community organizers) don't

Old 02-25-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
Federal suit planned against UC over ban on affirmative action - latimes.com

Instead of filing lawsuits, these racists should try and IMPROVE test scores amongst their favorite racial groups. It seems they've given up, however, accepted mediocrity and are now forcing schools to lower their standards. Too bad the hippies who run the UC system aren't defending the students who ARE admitted. The chancellors should DEMAND higher test scores rather than allow the UC's to turn into just an extension of high school.
What should be done is an effort to move away from silly standardized testing that rewards mind-numbing wrote preparation versus accomplishment and risk.

S.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:53 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
Affirmative action is doomed. People may as well get used to that idea.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Affirmative action is doomed. People may as well get used to that idea.
I think that is wishful thinking. It assumes people would be willing to submit and not use their power. unlikely. More likely is to see update forms of AA couched in different language.

S.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,090,287 times
I think we need to get more like the system of many other countries. The last two years of high school should be preparation for college. If you plan to major in math, you shouldn't have to take all the other classes you don't need. I'm think more along the lines of England's A-Levels. That is much better preparation than our current system. Of course, it'll never happen. It would involve a complete overhaul of the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities