Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:38 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Why does Harvard sit on 17 billion and other colleges sit on millions and billions? Its ridiculous. A damn book is $200 or more sometimes! A BOOK!
No, it's called an endowment. And where does a book cost $200?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:25 PM

60 posts, read 260,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
No, it's called an endowment. And where does a book cost $200?

Have you ever been in a college bookstore? I've seen single textbooks cost over $200. Check out some nursing textbooks sometime.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftySM View Post
Have you ever been in a college bookstore? I've seen single textbooks cost over $200. Check out some nursing textbooks sometime.
Who is forcing you to buy from the college bookstore?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 PM

323 posts, read 529,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I have an eighteen year old son who will be starting college in September. He is a good student, but not good enough to qualify for the limited number of scholarships available. He wants to study engineering and has a great math background.

When I attended college here from 1977 to 1981, tuition averaged about $400 a semester. Today, it is now $3000 per semester. This represents a 750% increase that is about 3 X higher than the overall rate of inflation. Many do not know that college tuition actually is increasing faster than healthcare expenditures are.

I am simply disgusted by college tuition increases. Overall prices in America declined last year because we are in a recession. Yet, the tuition at our colleges and universities in this state was increased by 10%. If this was an unusual year, I might still be ok with it. The reality is that tuition increases here have gone up by approximately between 7-10% every year for as long as I can remember.

I want an explanation for why tuition is so out-of-hand. I realize colleges need money to build new buildings, install computers, and meet salary needs. Nonetheless, this is simply not justifiable. Its way out of hand.

We parents need to stop acting like a bunch of sheep and start rebelling. We need to write our legislators and the board of regents and tell them to limit these increases to the rate of inflation. Another approach might be to get our Congressmen to make a rule denying student loans to institutions that increase their tuition beyond a certain rate every year. Something desperately needs to be done before the poor and middle class are totally priced out of the higher education market.

I agree. I have been complaining about this for over 20 years - The interesting thing is that as it begins to affect more of the middle/upper class - there is more complaints about it now. I call it one of the biggest american scams - but sadly - folks agree but don't want to do anything because the system is set up for going to college and is suppose to equal a superior media life style after completion - never mind the thousands of dollars in student loans you are paying while you have that media hyped life style - oh - lucky you - I feel any one is fortunate these days to attend college - for years the number has been growing for the folks who really just can't afford college even with loans. It just another contrubution to the haves and have nots.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:23 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Why does Harvard sit on 17 billion and other colleges sit on millions and billions? Its ridiculous. A damn book is $200 or more sometimes! A BOOK!
Alumni who are rich because of going there and give back.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
There is no reason for a COLLEGE to sit on 17 billion dollars. Lower tuition for crying out loud. You clearly have money. They damn near are a hedge fund!

Did I say to buy the book at $200? The facts are books are $200 in many cases. There is one major company that owns what 90% of the college bookstores, they set the prices!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:49 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
There is no reason for a COLLEGE to sit on 17 billion dollars. Lower tuition for crying out loud. You clearly have money. They damn near are a hedge fund!

Did I say to buy the book at $200? The facts are books are $200 in many cases. There is one major company that owns what 90% of the college bookstores, they set the prices!
They Ivy schools you talk about send kids with lower income for free. I think it's 75k and below.

Did you ever go to college? I never paid close to 200 for a book.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:
Yes there is and in fact I forgot to mention it in my list of sources of funding for institutions of higher education.

Portfolio management is extremely important to private universities (who btw do not get taxpayer money in the form of funds handed to them buy their state legislature in exchange for an obligation to give breaks to students who are from in-state.) They rely on contributions from alumni not just to fund expenses but to build up a portfolio so that they can derive income from it. I recall reading that Harvard does not even need to charge tuition to survive economically they are doing so well with their endowment. However we all know that people being the way they are, if you don't pay for something, you don't value it. I was a professor in Europe for over five years and the attitude of the kids was really bad sometimes. They seemed to value it about as much as you might value a penny lying on the sidewalk. Paying for it makes you think twice about skipping class and trying to actually pass your courses. I had a lot of warm bodies in my classes because for some parents it's like free daycare for twenty-somethings.

But back to our regularly scheduled program, who is anyone to tell private universities what they can and cannot do with their money as long as they are fulfilling their mission?

Old 05-28-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Who the hell do you think you are to tell someone what they can charge and what they cannot charge for tuition and books? It is not your money, and it is not your school, it is theirs. Does the school force you to go there? NO. Does the school force you to buy from the college bookstore? NO.

Are you going to tell me how many squares I should use to wipe myself on the toilet as well?

Also, I would have to agree with GatorNation as well.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:15 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Because back then, state government actually adequately funded higher education instead of shifting the majority of the burden to the families of attending students. Whenever this topic comes up, here's my 'favorite' quote on the matter:

Add funding, subtract politics - St. Petersburg Times

When did the govt stop pitching in to lessen the burden of the cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities