Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 AM

5 posts, read 7,085 times

Advertisements

My wife and I both work for companies that have a major hubs in The Springs, so transfer opportunities are avaliable. We have both have longed to get out of the Phx metro area for years. We are both AZ multi generation natives and have family members all over rural AZ and really want to find a place in the sticks with a couple acres so we can ride our atvs, shoot our guns, do as we please etc.., we have a young daughter so schools are a concern. These type of places are abound outside of Phx but i guess we are looking for a change and because of before metioned opportunities are considering The Springs area for possible relocation. I have done a bit of looking around on the web and noticed Woodland Park to the west and Peyton to the east, any reccomendations or advice for a place that might meet or needs within a resonable commute to The Springs? Thanks in advance guys, long time looker first time poster to The Springs forum. Oh and btw our budget would be in the < 200,000 range for purchasing a new/used home, but would love to rent first to get the lay of the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 AM

648 posts, read 2,941,348 times
Hey there! Woodland Park and Peyton are two different kind of communities. Woodland Park is nestled up in the mountain w/ pine trees, lakes & rivers. Peyton is on the plains, not alot of trees, rivers or lakes, hahah! Budget wise, Woodland Park can be more expensive depending on what you are looking for. Depending how far up you live in Woodland Park, will decide your commute. Also depending on where the companies that you will be working for will decide which is better for a commute. Feel free to ask more questions.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:17 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,897,594 times
You need to get on a plane or make a road trip to explore the area for a 3-4 days.

I personally love WP as it's a small community with just about everything you need. It's a 25 minute drive to I25 from WP, add another 20 minutes if the weather is bad.

I would recommend you check out the north part of town (Briargate), as District 20 is very good. Plus it's less than a hour to the outskirts of Denver if you want to experience a sporting event or extensive shopping.

We moved from Las Vegas 3 years ago and so do not miss the heat! I think the weather in the Springs is perfect! WP is often 10f cooler and gets about 2x as much snow than the Springs. The 2,500' difference in elevation makes a big difference!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:21 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,576,783 times
I lived in Woodland Park for 35 years, and now in Tucson for two. Riding ATV's and shooting guns won't happen in CO. Most areas there have a "no discharging of firearns" restriction. And, if you're going to hunt, you'll need a permit and license. Unlike AZ where you can carry concealed without a permit.

Schools in the Woodland Park area are good. Depending on whether you want to live in Woodland Park, or in Divide, your commute to the Springs will be either 30 or 45 minutes to I-25. There are other areas between Colorado Springs and Woodland Park or Divide, such as Green Mountain Falls, Cascade or Chipita Park that you might want to check out. They're all fairly rural, with the exception of GMF.

Peyton is out east of Colo Spgs and is horse/farm/ranchette country. Not much in the way of trees, or bike/hike trails, but it is flat and open with beautiful views of the mountains. It's also about 15 degrees or more warmer than anything in the foothills, and the seasons are more defined. In Woodland Park you'll get mostly Winter and July as it can snow from early September to late June some years.

You are more likely to find a home in your price range in the Peyton area. Woodland Park has become expensive as more executives from the Springs want to live up there and buy/build mini McMansions. Divide and Florissant, while much, much farther west, would be more affordable. Check realtor.com and plug in ZIP codes 80814 (Divide), 80816 (Florrisant), 80863 (Woodland Park) and then check Green Mountain Falls, Cascade and Chipeta Park, as well as Peyton.

I hope you can find an affordable place that has all the amenities you're looking for in CO. Otherwise, there is Prescott, Avra Valley, Oro Valley, Marana, Holbrooke, and a bunch of other places in AZ that would fit your needs.

Last edited by Marcy1210; 01-20-2011 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: Grammer and Spelling

Old 01-20-2011, 10:28 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,897,594 times
There are a couple open ranges off highway 67 north of WP where you can shoot trap or whatever you wish. Lots of public land where people take their ATVs and bikes to. Tarryall Reservoir (near Lake George) is one of my favorites, as there are miles and miles of trails and free dry camping

Concealed carry permits are fairly easy to get in Teller county. However, you can openly carry (not in federal/state/county buildings). Which is nice, since most people open carry when camping and hiking.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM

86 posts, read 339,845 times
You can ride your atvs and shoot your guns at Dragonmans.

Like others have said, not many trees out here in the Peyton/Falcon area. Unless you plant them or buy property with them on it. Husband and I were lucky enough to find some land with over a hundred trees. The Colorado State Forest Service has a nice program where you can buy trees by the lot as long as they are used on 2+ acres and not for ornamental and landscaping.

I sent you a DM with a little more information.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 7,085 times
Thanks everyone for all of the great advice. Going to have to head out and check out some of the places mentioned. East of The Springs is sounding a bit more to our liking, some of the pictures kind of remind me of the more rural areas of the Verde Valley in AZ which is a really great palce. Thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs