Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,522 times

Advertisements

I would like to mover from San Diego to Colorado Springs very soon. Any advice on how to do this. I mean should I just move and find a job should I try to find a job first.

So not sure how to make a move like this. Will be doing this on my own with my dogs.

Is there somewhere I can stay until I find a place to live?

Please need all the advice I can get.

Thank so much

Canesa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Most people get a job before relocating. Young people with no children can move a lot more freely even w/out a job here, but should have 3-6 months of living expenses in-hand to cover them until they find a job of some sort.

Use craigslist to find a place, but read the warnings on CL about the scammers in the rental biz.

Tell us the sort of work you do, or have done, that will help.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 AM

727 posts, read 1,365,923 times
Canesa - I've noticed a number of recent posts from folks considering a move from San Diego to Colorado Springs. Having grown up there (but haven't lived there in many years), I'm curious as to why you're planning on moving. I know CA, in general, has a lot of fiscal and other problems, but I always considered San Diego to be one of the most desirable and livable large cities in the country. Granted, the housing is still very expensive, but that's always been the trade off for the SoCal weather and vibe. Ditto with the job prospects (the joke when I was growing up there was that we had the best educated cab drivers in the country, because once you graduated from San Diego State, UCSD, or USD, you'd never leave for a job elsewhere). Maybe I just answered my own question, but is there another reason that explains the seeming exodus? I can't imagine it's the recent flooding. Folks have been building homes on stilts over the canyons for decades, and they understand the risks. As for the stadium flooding, that's what you get when you build a structure like that in the middle of a dry river bed (the river was once named The San Diego River, duh). Mission Valley always floods whenever it rains for more than a half hour. Traffic is congested, but nothing compared to other big cities, including the one just up the road from San Diego. Just wondering if there's something going on in San Diego I'm not aware of.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canesa View Post
I would like to mover from San Diego to Colorado Springs very soon. Any advice on how to do this. I mean should I just move and find a job should I try to find a job first.

So not sure how to make a move like this. Will be doing this on my own with my dogs.

Is there somewhere I can stay until I find a place to live?

Please need all the advice I can get.

Thank so much

Canesa
-Have enough savings to live for a few months. Jobs are difficult to find here unless you have a specific field of expertise.
-If you are not sure about the details in moving then you should do a whole lot of investigation. It sounds like an impulsive decision to escape some sort of situation.
-The city has many hotels, apartments, condos, and homes to rent. If you have the means, there are many choices. Camping would not be a good one, unless you have an RV with a good heater.
-Give us more information and the advice will be able to be more specific.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 AM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,171,877 times
Moving without securing any means of staying is never a good idea no matter how badly you want to move. Moving is always easy, staying can be hard.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:44 AM

65 posts, read 268,605 times
I agree with the others, also coming from CA myself.
Keep in mind, in most cases, that salaries here are nothing like those in CA. Housing is a bit cheaper but outside of that, we have found The Springs to be an expensive place to live.
We love it though...we just moved without doing the amount of research we should have.
Someone earlier said to find work first....totally agree. Tough job market now....like everywhere. Lots of competition with former military folks here.
If you can swing it, come out and visit a few times and proceed slowly.
I think it's a nice place to live, though.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:51 AM
OSO

5 posts, read 11,382 times
I moved here in 2005 since I was offered a job transfer within the company I work for. I had very little knowledge of the area. We stayed with my wife's aunt's in Denver for a month until I found a place in old Colorado city. I loved it there but it was too small for our family. I now live on the east side but miss the west. Personally I recommend the west side if you have no kids. You can get a duplex for a very decent price & most places are pet friendly. I do agree with everyone to secure employment first. I noticed that colorado its the last to feel the effects of the economy which means we'll also be last to feel any recovery. One great thing its if your renting you don't need a fridge since anyone renting to you must provide one. If you have any stable work history & your flexible my employer is hiring for customer service in a call center with full benefits & decent pay for this,area. Like a previous poster said, don't expect the same rate of pay. Don't worry because as you start looking at rent prices it won't be so bad. The other great thing is if you live & work in the city or surrounding area commuting is easy & cheaper. (gas prices are way less compared to CA) If your interested in the job I mentioned PM me. We're hiring alot since we're growing. My wife just got hired last week with no call center experience so don't let that discourage you. They're looking for people with stable work history, flexibility & patience. I do agree with "RKSINCO" it is an awesome place to live.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 PM

32 posts, read 60,832 times
If at all possible have a job lined up - the most important reason being that you may not find a place to rent in CS without one unless you have between 3 to 6 months savings to put down up front - even then it could depend on the line of work you are in as to whether pm companies will allow you to do that. PM companies are also very conservative with regards to animals - the breed of dog(s) is very important, the no., the size, the age can all play a part as to who will rent to you - and this is totally at the owners discretion not the p.m. companies. Pet deposits can be hefty as well. With the economy the way it is CS has not stayed out of trouble so I would definitely advise securing a job before you come - it will make your life so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs