Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 10:04 PM

6 posts, read 95,256 times

Advertisements

This is my situation:

I graduated from college in May with a BS in Business, option in accounting. My grades were reasonably good. Right after graduation, I packed up my car and moved here to Colorado Springs. My fiancee lives here, and although I am from out of state, we both decided that this city was the ideal place to start our lives together.

I am having absolutely no luck finding a truly entry level accounting position anywhere nearby. My only real criteria is that a job would give me accounting experience, and be full time. I have hit the paradox of "No job without experience", and I have no idea where to look further. I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE. Only a degree I worked very hard for, and now appears to be useless.

I would honestly prefer to start out in public accounting, but I am willing to consider a job anywhere. I have sent out resumes, registered with Accountemps and other staffing agencies, and made dozens of phone calls. I rarely get a response to emails, or even a real person on the phone.

If anyone has any advice, I would be very much obliged. I am really hoping that moving here was not a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 10:11 AM

147 posts, read 627,467 times
Unfortunately you are encountering the reality of the Colorado Springs job market. It is a highly competitive market for several reasons. One being the number of highly educated retirees living in the area that go back to work (usually at less than market wages) to supplement their retirement incomes. Also, there are a large number of military families that live in the Springs, and it seems that military spouses are given priority for jobs in the area. Then you also have a number of highly qualified people that move in just because they want to live in Colorado Springs, usually without a job lined up first. So, all in all competition is very competitive even for people with years of experience and a solid education.

If commuting to Denver is an option, I think your odds of landing an accounting position would be much better than in Colorado Springs. Have you considered Federal government employment? I have heard that the Feds are always looking for accountants and that getting in as an entry level accountant is not too difficult. Also, have you considered studying for the CPA exam? Colorado does have the 150 hour requirement for certification, but it would certainly make you more competitive in the Colorado job market. Another option, how about entry level banking positions? Seems like there are lots and lots of banks in the area and with a degree in business/accounting you might be able to get your foot in the door even without experience.

Oh, one more thing - you might try joining the Colorado Springs chapter of the IMA and going to their monthly meetings. It would give you some great networking leads. I would stay away from the temp agencies - a waste of time IMO.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:34 PM

6 posts, read 95,256 times
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunently, I will not be a military spouse for another 10 months.

I have been looking into a federal job: I applied for the IRS about a year ago, interviewed in May, and am currently on a list. I keep an eye on the USAJobs.com website in hopes that I will find something.

About the commute to Denver, it seems really long. I assume other people make this commute if the job market is as tight as it sounds. I currently live with my fiancee, and he says the commute to Peterson AFB gets pretty nasty the further north one moves. I guess this could be an option, but I am hoping it wont come to that.

The idea of a bank job sounds interesting. I haven't looked into it much yet, but I will start researching it.

I do plan to take the CPA exam, but I cannot as yet afford the fees, and the study materials are coming slowly. I have started looking into a temporary job to pay for it, but I am still hoping to find something permanent.

I guess the best thing to do is keep looking and think positive, while trying to come up with some plan for in the mean time.

Thanks for the advice, even if it is not quite what I was hoping for. If anyone else has anything more to contribute, I'll check back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs