Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 11:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,138 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting a job transfer to Colorado springs. We need to be there in 3 weeks from now. And we don't know how to start. We want to buy a house eventually but renting for starters will be better. The only problem is that we have an eviction from five years ago. and our credit is 600. We are renting now and we have a letter of recommendation. Should we get a apt from here phoenix or stay at a hotel in-till we find a place? I'm sure is going to be expensive if we stay at a hotel first. We are a family of five 3 kids 2 adults looking for a 2 bed apt. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 07:03 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
Could one of you fly out for a quick trip to find a place in person? There are some cheap airfares on Frontier to Denver now. I would hesitate to rent anything sight unseen,

Old 09-25-2015, 05:28 PM

11 posts, read 20,812 times
There are a lot of available places to rent since its a military town but I dont know if your credit will play a factor. I would definitely trying moving into a rental because moving into a hotel will cost more in the long run and your going to have to move twice.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:06 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
It certainly is best to ask. There are a lot of private managers and small agency management firms who may be willing to take you on with a reference check or deposit increase.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:36 AM

63 posts, read 80,694 times
When we relocated it was cheaper for me to take three days off and fly out here to secure a home than it would have been to rent a hotel for a month. You could try to find a budget motel, but most of those you will not want to stay in for any period of time. Secure your rental first, you will have plenty of other things to deal with once you get to your new home.

Welcome to Colorado!

Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Forgive my rushing straight to the point. I was under the impression that there were some restrictions on apartment rentals when the number of occupants was more than double the number of bedrooms. I don't know if that was something to do with city or council or if it was just the more upscale apartments.

I have found that the value offered for your rental dollars can vary quite dramatically, so I would suggest plannning to stay at a hotel for 2 or 3 nights before moving into the apartment. Have your stuff transported in a cube (I suggest using ABF, but others throw money away on companies with inferior products and more advertising...). Go view at least 10 apartments and then sign a lease on one of them. Expect them to require things like larger security deposits. If you want to buy a house, you'll want to focus on getting your credit score up over the next couple years. You can do it, but it requires making a very clear assessment of exactly which things will impact it and making a conscious choice about how you will live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs