Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:05 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times

Advertisements

At the top of the previous housing bubble, in about 2006, I observed several people who had just moved from California who were buying a new townhouse in a nearby neighborhood. I also observed that they had bought 2 new luxury cars, a Z06 Corvette and a Lexus 460 LS.

I thought to myself, "smart people". Sold at the top!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 08:50 AM

49 posts, read 52,752 times
Quote:
if you see a massive, jacked up truck billowing black smoke, driving like a maniac
I have seen a lot of those since moving here but they all have Colorado plates

Old 01-02-2017, 10:15 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGirl View Post
I was wondering, and I am gently asking- why I have been told more than once not to tell anyone in Colorado we are from Texas... Why? It sounds ridiculous! My husband and I are friendly and outgoing, not obnoxious, and do not intrude on people. Just wondering. Also my son says the people at his work are always talking badly abt Texans as well??? Don't want to step on toes! We love it here!
Don't worry, Texas already annexed the southwest portion of the state, they just haven't formally announced it yet.

In general, the stereotype is that Texans come to CO for their break and ski with cowboy hats on and cook brisket in the parking lot in the back of their big trucks.

I wouldn't worry about it. The only people you will annoy by saying you are from TX is grumpy natives who you probably don't want to talk to much anyways.

If you do make it down by Cucharra or Pagosa Springs, you will feel like you are in Texas junior though.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:21 AM

670 posts, read 1,053,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Don't worry, Texas already annexed the southwest portion of the state, they just haven't formally announced it yet

If you do make it down by Cucharra or Pagosa Springs, you will feel like you are in Texas junior though.
Or Lake City, a large percentage of the homes in town are second homes and most of them were flying Texas flags on the homes or in the yards when we were out there in July. The Texas plates probably outnumbered Colorado plates 6 to 1.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:27 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times
People move state-to-state all the time. The high cost of car tags in Colorado is one reason so many transplants continue to run-around with previous state plates (particularly Texas).

Old 01-03-2017, 03:37 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
At the top of the previous housing bubble, in about 2006, I observed several people who had just moved from California who were buying a new townhouse in a nearby neighborhood. I also observed that they had bought 2 new luxury cars, a Z06 Corvette and a Lexus 460 LS.

I thought to myself, "smart people". Sold at the top!

Sounds to me like they are kinda actually "stupid" (or is the nice word now 'brain disadvantaged'?)- financing depreciating assets (cars).

Of course they may have paid cash but I doubt it.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:54 PM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Sounds to me like they are kinda actually "stupid" (or is the nice word now 'brain disadvantaged'?)- financing depreciating assets (cars).

Of course they may have paid cash but I doubt it.
If they unloaded their overpriced house at the top, they were smart.

What they did with the proceeds doesn't matter. In the long run, we're all dead.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGirl View Post
I was wondering, and I am gently asking- why I have been told more than once not to tell anyone in Colorado we are from Texas... Why? It sounds ridiculous! My husband and I are friendly and outgoing, not obnoxious, and do not intrude on people. Just wondering. Also my son says the people at his work are always talking badly abt Texans as well??? Don't want to step on toes! We love it here!
Do not ever apologize about where you're from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
We were showing out-of-state visitors around CoS last week and they were the ones who commented that a different car with Texas tags was in front of us at every stoplight. The game continued on the way back to Denver. This is not something I paid attention to before, but it's on my radar now.
One time on a trip back from the mountains, I kept a list of out of state license plates. The top three were Texas, California and Illinois. I don't remember the order. That was in the summer in the mtns. They were probably tourists. California is so ubiquitous DH and I call them the "background radiation".

Old 01-03-2017, 07:19 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanen View Post
Texans (in general) that show up in Colorado seem to have a really hard time letting go of Texas. We get to hear about how better everything in Texas is. That gets old after a while. I've only lived here a couple of years, and Texans are the only ones I've met that do that.
Well, that's the stereotype and story that keeps getting repeated and recycled by native Coloradans, generation after generation. I've never encountered a Texan or Texas resident ever going on about their old location. In fact, it's natives here that seem to put the state infinitely above all others, and are more on a tangent of going overboard about their native state.

The stereotype doesn't even make sense or add up. The two states are so vastly different that if someone loved Texas, they would have no reason to move to such a radically different state. The real Texas lovers and supporters and braggarts would never in a million years move to CO. Therefore, those that move to CO are those very different person that want a difference and a change. Some of the biggest CO supporters are the ones that get junk thrown at them here, and natives never bother to see the effects of their actions.

In the most basic of terms, natives do this to annoy former Texas residents and give them the cold shoulder. It's about all they can do to complain and protest, so they relish it to the core. Just ignore the noise, and not give them any satisfaction.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-03-2017 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-04-2017, 02:49 AM

235 posts, read 355,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I've never encountered a Texan or Texas resident ever going on about their old location.
I sure have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs