Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,277 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband, baby and I are moving to Colorado Springs next month. He is working east of the city although we would prefer to live in areas such as Old Colorado City and/or Manitou springs and would like to avoid a commute if possible.

I would love to be able to walk to a market, go for a ride pushing baby jogger, and would love quick access to mountain biking, etc. We need an area where people are open and accepting / tolerant of all others.

Should we just conclude that he might have to commute to his work east of the city? Is the drive west to east through the city as stop and go as we have heard?

Are there neighborhoods similar to what I describe in addition to Old Colorado City / Manitou Springs that would result in a much shorter commute to work east of the city? Any low down on Palmer Park area (are folks tolerant in this area, etc.)?

Thank you so much, in advance, for any information / advice you might offer. We appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 03:47 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
The whole city is tolerant, at least in my view. You can bike and jog anywhere, but if you want to live close to a market, you'll have to look closely at where you move. And what do you mean by market - a grocery store, or a mom and pop place, etc. - that means different things. There are trails all over the county, but it depends on exactly what you're looking for. If you want mountains, you'll need west. As for working east - I don't think it is as bad as many people make it out to be, but where east can be a factor - are we talking Schriever, southeast, northeast, Falcon, etc. Generally speaking, traffic is more bothersome on the northeast side of town than elsewhere.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:56 PM

Thanks so much! Yes, he's working in Schriever. By market, I suppose I just meant maybe a Farmer's market, etc. Could you estimate the commute time from Old Colorado City to Schriever. Also, thanks for the input regarding tolerance - great to hear! I really appreciate your help!

Old 06-04-2010, 05:19 PM

486 posts, read 1,497,126 times
my vote goes to Old Colorado City/ Manitou Springs (i sent you a direct message).

The commute from westside to eastside Colorado Springs would be a bit stop and go but NOTHING compared to going from east to west or north to south in Denver! It's definitely do-able.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
There's a farmer's market in Manitou each summer, but the bigger one with lots of parking is over in Memorial Park.

We've a thread on farmer's markets, use the search tool and it'll pop up quickly.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:49 PM

Google Maps says about 45 minutes from Manitou Springs to Schriever. So Old Colorado City is probably about 5-10 minutes less than that.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:31 PM

37 posts, read 72,526 times
The whole city is tolerant, but the southside is by far the most racially diverse and from my experience, accepting of everybody. It's hard to understand what exactly you're looking for when you lump old colorado city and manitou springs together, when in my mind they're polar opposites.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:23 AM

MulattoLouieCO:

I've been told that Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs have a lot of similarities so wonder if you might offer insight to see how they are opposite. I'm sure some of my questions are confusing since I've never even visited and just starting to learn more about the area.

Thanks so much, everyone!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:34 AM

I'm not sure why he'd say that, either. I do see some similarities, as someone who has lived here my whole life and whose parents and grandparents lived in Old Colorado City. In the old days, Manitou was where the "hippies" would go, and then the "goths", but there is much more to it than that.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:18 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck014 View Post
.. I've been told that Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs have a lot of similarities so wonder if you might offer insight to see how they are opposite. I'm sure some of my questions are confusing since I've never even visited and just starting to learn more about the area. Thanks so much, everyone!
IMO, Manitou Springs (MS) and Old Colorado City (OCC) share many characteristics and are not strong opposites. I describe OCC a part of town with a slightly funky vibe, a lot of eateries and some boutique shopping. There are Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores, shoe repair and knife sharpening shops, among other more standard fare like groceries, fast foods and gas stations. It is largely flat and is part of the west side of Colorado Springs.

A few miles west of OCC you get into MM which is at the base of Pikes Peak and many streets are hilly and full of twists and turns. It's much more a tourist destination with quaint old motor courts from a bygone era. It has a bit of a hippy vibe, some VERY good eateries, and a lot of shops. MS hosts a number of off-beat events each year, like bed races, fruit cake toss, Mardi Gras, etc. MS is its own separate municipality.

A quick way to sum it up is to refer to OCC as MS-Lite. We visit both places regularly and enjoy both.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs