Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:50 AM

305 posts, read 991,827 times

Advertisements

In Minnesota it is thirty days and also in Ohio. Do you guys in Co. have emission checks? I know we dont in Mn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I was always under the impression that you were required to obtain a CO license no later than ninety days after establishing permanent residency.
I actually think that's what the website means to say, but that it is poorly worded.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:04 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,300,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I actually think that's what the website means to say, but that it is poorly worded.
I read it the other way around. You're not considered a resident until you've been here for 90 days.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:27 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I read it the other way around. You're not considered a resident until you've been here for 90 days.
Well, here's the problem.

You no longer own a property or rent a residence in your old state.
You own a property in which you reside in in Colorado.
You need to buy a new car in Colorado.

So someone coming from outside the state can't drive for 3 months? That doesn't make sense, either.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:26 PM

184 posts, read 440,258 times
We live in VA and have a home in CO. We have VA driver's licenses and bought a truck in CO, where it stays (and is insured). If I remember correctly we needed to show proof of residence in CO but didn't require a CO driver's license to get the vehicle registered. We also did not pay any taxes in VA for this purchase. Most states require you to obtain a driver's license within 30 days of becoming a permanent resident but this is not required in order to purchase a vehicle in CO. So buy the vehicle first if you like. It makes no difference. Emmission checks are not required in CO either, like they are in many other states.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:37 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy WJ View Post
Emmission checks are not required in CO either, like they are in many other states.
Incorrect. They are required if you live in the Denver metro area and a few other counties. The rural areas don't require emissions checks. Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:Emissions Information

Old 06-19-2010, 03:38 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy WJ View Post
Emmission checks are not required in CO either, like they are in many other states.
Wrong. Depending on what county you reside in and the type and year of vehicle, Colorado does have emission testing. Info here:

Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:Emissions Information

Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 AM

184 posts, read 440,258 times
Thanks for the clarification(s)!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, here's the problem.

You no longer own a property or rent a residence in your old state.
You own a property in which you reside in in Colorado.
You need to buy a new car in Colorado.

So someone coming from outside the state can't drive for 3 months? That doesn't make sense, either.
I've looked at the information on the Department of Revenue website, and while I agree that the information is confusing, this is what I understand it to mean.

* Drivers may operate a motor vehicle in Colorado with a valid driver's license from any other state.

* Drivers must obtain a Colorado license if they have resided in the state for 90 consecutive days and do not qualify for an exemption (e.g., military or student). In other words, if you are unemployed and have been crashing on the couch at a friend's house for more three months, you are considered a Colorado resident, even if you never bothered to rent a place of your own.

* A driver can also meet the residency requirement by owning/operating a business in Colorado or being gainfully employed within the state. There a lots of loopholes, but based on the OP's situation, the state likely considers him a resident.

* After meeting the requirements of Colorado residency, a driver has thirty days to obtain a license.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:26 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Hey, what kind of car did you end up buying? Just curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado