Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:37 PM

8 posts, read 46,801 times

Advertisements

What's the housing sitch in Durango? Or let me ask this...can you find a single family home for under $200K? As I'm fairly certain there wouldn't be a local petrol hauling job there, I'm thinking DH could go back to over-the-road trucking. (He's always wanted to, anyway.)

Sandy..getting sicker of the Texas heat and humidity every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 08:37 PM

108 posts, read 389,762 times
Under 200k, no way unless you are talking about a mobile, and even that is probably way more. The median price is in the high 300's.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:11 PM

63 posts, read 327,966 times
A Real Estate person has been sending me listings of housing outside the Durango area with the pricing around $249,000 & up. Some are mobiles but most seem to be houses. I think most of these are in the Bayfield area. But I do believe that Durango proper is $$$$.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:23 PM

24 posts, read 87,126 times
Yes the median price in Durango is around 400K... But the housing slump is starting to be felt there, too. Sellers may be more willing to negotiate soon- but probably not down into the 200's !

Old 07-14-2007, 01:17 AM

101 posts, read 470,424 times
200K, I would have stayed...
try 50k for and old mobile home, and thats without a spot to put it.

How hot is it now... probably not hot enough.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:20 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
OK--the Durangoans will flame me for sure, but here's the deal. Durango is in one of the prettier areas of Colorado, no denying that. But, make a simple comparison. Durango and Montrose are like "bookend" towns, Montrose at the north end of the San Juan Mountains, Durango at the south. One can argue that Durango has a nicer setting for the town, but Montrose has milder winters. Durango is bigger in population and has a college. Still, the two should be at least somewhat comparable, right? Well, housing prices in Durango are just about DOUBLE those in Montrose. There is no way the income levels for residents of those two towns are THAT much different.

So, you have to ask: Is the Montrose real estate market grossly undervalued? Hardly. Housing there is by no means cheap. So, must it mean that the Durango market is way overpriced and prime for a "correction?" That's my conclusion. Given the difference in community amemities, I could see a 25-30% difference. Nearly a hundred? Somethin' ain't right.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:53 PM

I'm not that familiar with Montrose, but Durango probably has a few things more than just what you listed- the animas river, nearby ski resorts, the durango-silverton narrow gauge, and a great historic downtown.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:36 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
archeo,

Most of the additional amenities you listed, Durango has had for a long time. For years, the real estate markets between it and places like Montrose had only moderate differences. It has only been in the last few years that the disparity has grown so wide. Some longtime Durango residents I know can't even figure it out. They don't know how that "Energizer bunny" market keeps running up--a couple of 'em are getting ready to cash out of that market before "the wheels fall off."

PS--The real estate market in Silverton is even more detached from reality--some pure speculation seems to be in play there. Kinda like playing a game of Hearts--sooner or later somebody gets stuck with the old Queen.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:34 PM

108 posts, read 389,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal in AZ View Post
A Real Estate person has been sending me listings of housing outside the Durango area with the pricing around $249,000 & up. Some are mobiles but most seem to be houses. I think most of these are in the Bayfield area. But I do believe that Durango proper is $$$$.
The farther you get from Durango, well in most areas (it's still pretty $$$ up towards DMR) then the prices fall. Bayfield is booming, and more pricer then say towards Ignacio area, towards Mancos is generally even cheaper, although prices have really increased over there as well. Most of these places have very few jobs in them so the vast majority of people will be commuting to Durango every day to work. The drive time to Bayfield is very increased during peak traffic times because of that. Many of the places that you find for 249 or so are a good 30+ minutes from Durango, not all of them of course, but many. Prices in city limits are daunting to many so they settle farther and farther from the city limits.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
PS--The real estate market in Silverton is even more detached from reality--some pure speculation seems to be in play there. Kinda like playing a game of Hearts--sooner or later somebody gets stuck with the old Queen.
That has to be from Aaron Brill's new resort up there - put in a ski area and watch the real estate skyrocket...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado