Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 8,729 times

Advertisements

Currently, I live in Texas. I was born in Denver and I want to move back to Colorado. I am seeking information about Idaho Springs. I can live modestly, I just need a job, and a place to live. If anyone has information, or a resource I can search to find these answers, it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 04:43 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,067,507 times
Idaho Springs is tiny, maybe 2,000 people at the most. Jobs and reasonable housing are harder to come by than in a larger area. Is there a specific reason why you would pick there?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 AM

We lived in Denver, but had family in Idaho Springs. I love the area. I live in Austin Texas now and I want to live in a smaller town.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 AM

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am fact finding and need all the help I can get. Thank you for your reply.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:05 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,693,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DThiem View Post
We lived in Denver, but had family in Idaho Springs. I love the area. I live in Austin Texas now and I want to live in a smaller town.
The thing with idaho springs is that there really isn't any industry there unless you want to commute over to Central City/Blackhawk to work in the gambling business or commute down to Denver to work down there.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:13 AM

44 posts, read 132,997 times
What kind of work are you looking for? Besides the industries wanneroo mentioned, many people in the area work for the mine. As far as housing, we found our rental on craigslist. The Clear Creek Courant also has their classifieds listed online.

Since this post has been revived, I have a question for the locals. Do I need studded tires? I finally got winter tires yesterday, and the sales guy was really pushing for me to get the studs. I declined, mostly because I haven't noticed them on any of my neighbors's cars, but I can still have them put on later if I feel like I need them. I've been okay driving without them so far, but I've been told that Feb/Mar will be the worst part of winter. What are the pros/cons? (I have a front-wheel-drive minivan.)

Old 12-31-2011, 11:40 AM

I am currently working in a call center for a large gaming company. I have experience in animal health care, veterinary medicine and companion animal rescue. It sounds like I need to rethink my destination location. Thank you all for your responses.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:23 PM

44 posts, read 132,997 times
Just adding a few pictures...

Snow in town.

My neighbors.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:33 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,086,787 times
I love your pics lala!!! I'm so glad you are there and happy!!!

Old 12-31-2011, 05:07 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,693,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabear View Post
What kind of work are you looking for? Besides the industries wanneroo mentioned, many people in the area work for the mine. As far as housing, we found our rental on craigslist. The Clear Creek Courant also has their classifieds listed online.

Since this post has been revived, I have a question for the locals. Do I need studded tires? I finally got winter tires yesterday, and the sales guy was really pushing for me to get the studs. I declined, mostly because I haven't noticed them on any of my neighbors's cars, but I can still have them put on later if I feel like I need them. I've been okay driving without them so far, but I've been told that Feb/Mar will be the worst part of winter. What are the pros/cons? (I have a front-wheel-drive minivan.)
In my opinion, no you don't need studs unless you are driving on a solid sheet of ice all day. Studded snow tires are falling out of use these days as the snow tire technology has gotten better and studs have issues with tearing up roads.

In Idaho Springs, March I'd reckon is the worst as storms around then can reverse direction and come out of the east. As the storms push up against the steep Front Range, they wring out the moisture quick and you can have big snowfalls. The worst in recent years was in March 2003 when up to 10 feet of snow fell in 36 hours around Idaho Springs. The interstate was closed for 3 days, although I apparently broke the law by driving on it the first day after staying overnight in Idaho Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado