Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 10,329 times

Advertisements

I am 26 year-old single male who is thinking about relocating to Pueblo, Colorado. The other areas of Colorado that were my first choice do not have any positions available at the moment (Colorado Springs, Denver metro area etc.) however, there is a position in Pueblo, Colorado. After finding out the cities population is 100k or more I have become more interested in the city.

I guess my questions for you all are:

Is there a decent-good population of young professionals (single twenty somethings) out side of CSU-P?

How is the night life? Live music scene?

If you are a young professional would you recommend relocating to Pueblo?

I have always wanted to move to CO, and this position will at least get me in the state that I want to live in, I just want to make sure I won't be bored out of my mind.

I know absolutely no one in Pueblo so I would be essentially starting from scratch. So from people who have moved to Pueblo and not known anyone, or at least very few, is it an easy transition to meet new friendly people etc.

I am starting to ramble, so I apologize, just a confusing decision...

All information will be useful!!

Thanks

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-08-2012 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Jossephie, where art thou?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM

352 posts, read 797,709 times
Yes, Josseppie will be the Higher Authority on this question. I was in Pueblo last week and picked up this free paper called PULP, which seems to be a fresh, energetic (dare I say "hip" ?) look at Pueblo and southern Colorado. The website is relatively new, but seems like a great start, IMHO.

PULP

Also, I just want to give a shout-out to Euphoria Salon, Fox's Garden Center, the office of Dr. John Schmidt (dermatologist), and Winnelson Plumbing Supply, all of which I just did business with for the first time. These are local businesses that P-Town and SOCO can be proud of!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasmike View Post
I am 26 year-old single male who is thinking about relocating to Pueblo, Colorado. The other areas of Colorado that were my first choice do not have any positions available at the moment (Colorado Springs, Denver metro area etc.) however, there is a position in Pueblo, Colorado. After finding out the cities population is 100k or more I have become more interested in the city.
Since you have a job here I think you have already overcome the biggest hurdle if someone wants to move to Pueblo as finding a job here can be tough. Another thing is yes Pueblo is about 110,000 people, msa is 160,000 people, so it sounds like that is the size of towns you like so you should like living here.

Quote:
I guess my questions for you all are:

Is there a decent-good population of young professionals (single twenty somethings) out side of CSU-P?
Obviously its smaller then the scene in Colorado Springs and Denver and yes Pueblo is more a working class town but I would say for a city of 110,000 people it is decent. Pueblo, also, has a good art and cultural scene and in my biased opinion its the second best in the state after Denver of course. Actually the goal of the art community of Pueblo is to make this town the Santa Fe of Colorado and they are working hard to make that happen.

Quote:
How is the night life? Live music scene?
Pueblo has many bars and a few clubs. The local music scene seems to be thriving and in the summer there are always concerts in downtown with local bands. Pueblo, also, has some great fairs from the Colorado State Fair to the Wild Wild West Fest, which is coming up this month, and the Chili fest all with live music. Again its no Denver but keep in mind we are only 110,000 people.

Quote:
If you are a young professional would you recommend relocating to Pueblo?
I love Pueblo so I am biased. I have a MBA and I could live anywhere yet I choose to live here. Can it be hard to meet people? Sure but overall Pueblo is a nice town with nice people and has a sense of community that is not seen in many larger cities so if you understand its faults then I think what is has to offer will more then make up for them.

Quote:
I have always wanted to move to CO, and this position will at least get me in the state that I want to live in, I just want to make sure I won't be bored out of my mind.

I know absolutely no one in Pueblo so I would be essentially starting from scratch. So from people who have moved to Pueblo and not known anyone, or at least very few, is it an easy transition to meet new friendly people etc.
I have lived here all my life, except for college, but I think the key to meeting people here is like in any town. Get yourself our and active and you should find a group of people who you get a long with.

Quote:
I am starting to ramble, so I apologize, just a confusing decision...

All information will be useful!!

Thanks
That is ok! That is what this site is for....

If you have any questions feel free to ask them here or DM me. I am extremely knowledgeable about Pueblo and will do my best to answer any question you have.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 10,329 times
Thanks for all the info everyone. I really appreciate it. I am from Lawrence, KS which is also a college town that sits about 45 miles from Kansas City so I am starting to realize that Peublo and Lawrence may have quit a bit in common. I am starting to lean towards taking the job and then if I don't like it then I can always look for another job in a different part of the state. Josseppi, I may DM you if I end up getting the job and moving to Pubelo so figure out the best places to live, etc. Thanks!

Also, any other info is always welcome!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
I can help you where to live etc. One thing. AVOID the east side and Bessemer. I mean that. They are the bad parts of Pueblo, not so bad that one avoids them all together like in some cities but bad enough that I would never tell anyone to live there.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
OP, no, maybe ok to soso, no, no, and no.

Oh... imo.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,291,770 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the info everyone. I really appreciate it. I am from Lawrence, KS which is also a college town that sits about 45 miles from Kansas City so I am starting to realize that Peublo and Lawrence may have quit a bit in common. I am starting to lean towards taking the job and then if I don't like it then I can always look for another job in a different part of the state. Josseppi, I may DM you if I end up getting the job and moving to Pubelo so figure out the best places to live, etc. Thanks!

Also, any other info is always welcome!
Lawrence is a college town. Pueblo is a small city that happens to have a college in it. KU dominates Lawrence, CSUP does not dominate Pueblo.

Lawrence is a much sleepier place than Pueblo. Probably because the criminals in Pueblo don't sleep so much, and there are a lot of them.

There is a small community of young singles, but I wouldn't characterize them as young single professionals. Most young people, and especially professionals just starting out, leave Pueblo to places where there are opportunities. If you want to work in a factory or a Motel 6, you stay in Pueblo. If you want to start a successful engineering career, well, probably not. So I think you'll find relatively few yuppie peers to hang with.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:44 AM

289 posts, read 776,369 times
Bob's description is fairly accurate. I'm a young professional in my mid-20's and there were ZERO opportunities in Pueblo when I graduated from CSU-P last spring, which is why I had to leave. The majority of my peers who are doing well right now also moved away. The ones who stayed in Pueblo for family reasons or because they were in a serious relationship are either unemployed or working jobs that don't pay well and don't fully use their skills.

I know a handful of people who are doing OK in Pueblo, but it isn't a town for the "young professional" unless you're going to be employed in the medical field.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:34 AM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
If you don't have family in Pueblo County, I can't see any reason for anybody to live here.

It took me one year and four long months to get a decent job here... and I'm holding on to it for all it's worth.

The state and city and county provide some decent jobs here.

Id take welding skills over a master's degree in this town.

That being said... Colorado Springs and the Denver Metro area ain't much to be braggin' neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado