Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 2,808 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!
I need some advise on transferring the title of my car from GA to CO and at the same time transferring ownership of my car to my wife.
A little background.. I live in GA and hold a GA DL. The car's title only has my name. My wife recently moved to CO and now holds a CO DL. I plan to move to CO after a year, but I'm in GA as of now.

I want to transfer the ownership of my car to my wife and also change its registration to CO (i.e. the car will associated with her DL).
We are planning to drive in the car along with some household stuff during the upcoming Labor Day weekend, but we need advise on whether such a transfer of ownership would be subject to sales tax in CO ? I have never done a move with "actual" possessions, i.e. if you don't count the 2 suitcases with which I moved from CO to GA some years back , so I need your advise on how to complete this transfer with minimum expense & paperwork.
Is there any paperwork I need to complete at GA DMV before I will be able to complete this transfer? I've the original car title in hand. Thanks!
Let me know, if this is the not the right forum to post this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 12:18 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
How Old is the car?
How many miles on it?
Did you pay sales tax in GA, or the TAVT?

The TAVT is not sales tax so you won't get credit for that in Colorado.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:31 PM

The car is 2012 model, so I guess not subject to Emissions testing in CO. (In GA cars are exempt for 3 years and in CO it is 4 years AFAIK). The car was purchased in GA and never registered in any other state. So I guess a VIN inspection is needed for CO registration?

Around 37K miles on it and after driving 1.5K miles to CO, it would be close to 39K

We did pay sales tax in GA at the time of purchase and have the receipt/invoice from the dealer to show for it.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:34 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Did you buy it prior to March 1, 2013?

Old 08-07-2015, 12:40 PM

Yes, bought it in Feb 2012 and we paid the sales tax to the dealer. When the GA law changed in 2013, my car was exempt from the ad-valorem taxes as we had already paid the sales tax at purchase.
I only pay the tag renewal charge of $20 each year in GA.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:00 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
You can transfer the title of your car to your wife without paying sales tax, the big question is why do you want to do that?

It might be easier just to add her name to the title when you title it in Colorado.

Here is the basic procedure. It might vary somewhat according to the county you live in.

If there is a lien on the car, then it might get trickier to transfer, especially if you are the sole borrower.

It will be much more expensive to register it in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado