Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM

201 posts, read 611,531 times

Advertisements

out of Nebraska heading toward Grand Lake, CO. Is it feasible getting off I-76 west of Fort Morgan then taking US-36 thru Estes Park or...do I take the suggested Google mapping route thru Denver Metro area onto I-70 then onto US-40 north? The G route is longer but more scenic maybe?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,183 times
Wink Berthoud Pass only if you wish

You can ignore Google's opinion and bypass I-70.

The caveat in this is traveling through Estes Park to Grand Lake, although more direct as the crow flies, entails traversing Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park. That is hardly hard duty for any nature lover, but those with some trepidation of mountainous roads may wish to take exception.

But I-70 / US 40 will not entirely excuse one from that. Most notably the little matter of Berthoud Pass (11,307 feet) between I-70 and Winter Park. It is a lovely drive as well, although necessitating something of a detour, and traversing Denver as well. One advantage, this route is always open (save maybe the occasional avalanche); Trail Ridge Road across RMNP customarily closes for the winter in October with the first major snow.

If wishing to traverse RMNP—which is a spectacular drive—then never mind US 36. Shortly west of Fort Morgan, cut northwest on US 34. This will lead you through Greeley and then Loveland, and directly from there up the Big Thompson River canyon to Estes Park. Even around Fort Morgan one begins to see the Rocky Mountains in the distance; from Loveland on expect some grand scenery.

Unless an annual park pass, RMNP will want $20 from you for passage through the park. It is more than worth it; and an even better deal their $40 annual pass for RMNP, if intending to hang around for awhile.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
I would suggest picking either one, and then making a round trip out of it so you see both, instead of going back the same way.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
You can ignore Google's opinion and bypass I-70....

If wishing to traverse RMNP—which is a spectacular drive—then never mind US 36. Shortly west of Fort Morgan, cut northwest on US 34. This will lead you through Greeley and then Loveland, and directly from there up the Big Thompson River canyon to Estes Park. ....
Do This ^^^^

And... for a spectacular Round trip.... I would FIRST go I-80 west to Laramie, (stopping to enjoy VedauWoo Rock Climbing at Vedauwoo, Wyoming. Your resource for climbing, hiking and camping at Vedauwoo. (can't be beat for star gazing spot) AND Sherman pass (EZ, 1 minute detours from I-80) THEN 130 west through Centennial, and OVER Snowy Range.Snowy Range Scenic Byway, the a short detour to Saratoga for a dip in the FREE hobo pool at Hot Springs. Then back south through Encampment (an A-1 Museum), then on South to Grand Lake. While possibly a bit further, I would suspect it is FASTER as WY roads are VERY good and fast and NO TRAFFIC (except 80 mph semis on I-80)

I LUV the Snowy Range AND I prefer to go westbound in WY, and EASTbound through RMNP for best vistas.

These routes will take you through some of the best CO and WY have to offer and within VERY close proximity. (I'm jealous) WIWT... again and again. I used to take this loop many times in summer on Motorcycle after work. Several Hr trip, but dinner in Grand Lake and it was a treat coming back over Trail Ridge Road (and Big T Canyon in the COOL summer evening). I grew up in the BigT canyon, so can do that route in my sleep (as the road was BEFORE the 1976 flood... lost a lot of friends in that 'gully washer'...(an excellent slide show here...R.I.P)
The Big Thompson - The Coloradoan - www.coloradoan.com

Trail Ridge road was my FIRST 100 mile bicycle trip... I was young and REALLY stupid (They had 'chip-sealed' the road that weekend 3" thich Pea Gravel on the shoulders...) I died that day

Old 08-25-2012, 09:51 AM

201 posts, read 611,531 times
I'm now off to my maps with a much clearer picture of what to expect. I thank you all for your great input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado