Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 AM

19 posts, read 72,583 times

Advertisements

Hello. We're hoping to move to Colorado soon and buy some land. We are looking for green alternatives to housing and I've heard of this "cob house" I've looked it up online and it looks fine. I was wondering if there was anyone in Colorado building these houses? I know most people will build their own but we would rather have someone else who knows what they're doing do it. We're not necessarily looking for someone around pagosa. We don't even have land yet so I'm not sure where it will be but I was just needing to know if ANYONE in colorado will build cob houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 09:24 PM

157 posts, read 651,586 times
hi ` i am familiar with cob and other "earth-based techniques" through study. Im guessing that you are right that most will do you own, but the Pagosa and Durango areas have numerous alternative "green builders". Try searching the net around Durango. Here's one near Santa Fe/Taos/Tesuque, but they build in Colo, too as you will see. might be a place to start even if not completely cob -- quite similar. good luck!

EcoNest Portfolio of homes, clay/straw, timberframe, natural , nontoxic houses (http://econest.com/portfolio_images.php?rec_no=5 - broken link)

Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,109 times
Default We love building with dirt

I realize your post is two years old, but if you are still looking for someone to build you a cob home, I am ready and willing.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 11,548 times
Default Cob Houses Colorado

Hello.

I am also interested in Cob houses. I'm seriously considering buying some property soon since the kids will be off to college soon and I want to build a Cob house as well. If you get any replies or if you even consider having a "work party" which a lot of people do when building Cob houses I would definitely be interested to join. I'm falling in love with these houses and will be purchasing the Hand Sculpted House soon on my Kindle. Good Luck and keep us informed with what you find.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,142 times
Choose your site carefully if building with cob. Clay is surprisingly scarce in large parts of Colorado. I was quoted $600 for a truck load of clay so the cost will add up quickly if you need a lot trucked in. Also check with the building department in the county where you are considering building. Some counties are more receptive to alternative or green building than others.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:20 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I'd also check the zoning/building permit laws for any land I'd buy for non-traditional construction. You never know what they might have in store.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
You will find in Colorado, such unconventional construction is not easy to get approved for building permits that are required. Foundations that go below the freeze level, etc. are required. High wind resistance, etc. You will need to get an architect plus engineer to design and approve the building, which will not be easy to do and can get expensive. It will in the end have to meet the uniform building code.

Cob houses do not have a good insulation factor, and are more using thermal qualities of absorbing heat or cold not keeping it out of the house. In Colorado you have to meet a certain insulation value in the roof and sides of the home to get a permit to build.

Also check any building restrictions that may be on the land, placed there when the land was broken up into smaller parcels.

You will also have to have the construction inspected as you go along, by city or county building inspectors.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-16-2012 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado