Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,782 times

Advertisements

I'm from MN and I'm driving to the grand canyon and wanted to stop at the four corners monument. My directions tell me to go to Denver co. then take hwy 285 south all the way to Cortez co. How is hwy 285 in March, can it get bad in March? what is the road like ? what is the weather normally around their at that time of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 05:49 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Hwy 285 does not go to Cortez. You will take 285 from Denver to Monte Vista, CO then take Hwy 160 west the rest of the way to Four Corners. Scenery is awesome the entire trip. Consider spending a night in Durango, it's quite a nice town with good hotels and eats, plus an old steam train.

Weather in March is quite variable, sunny and 45-50 one day, a howling snowstorm the next. Stay tuned to accuweather as you get closer to the travel dates. Then stick with Colo DOT for road info.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:21 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
^^^

Yeah, I was wondering if they had somehow extended 285 to here when my back was turned or something. So, you want to get from Denver to Cortez in March. Hmmmm... No matter which way you go, you'll have to drive over a few mountain passes. I assume that winter driving holds no worries for someone from the fine state of MN. Are you also cool with mountain driving in what most likely will be in a snow storm or two? Highway 285 is certainly a more scenic route, but it's a secondary road with a generous amount of curves and twists before you hit Villa Grove and Saguache. After those two towns it's an easy roll through the fields and ranches to Monte Vista. Then it can get interesting again. Highway 160 goes over Wolf Creek Pass which is very spectacular, but it can get pretty snowy. They do a great job of keeping it maintained these days though. Agree that Durango is worth a stay or at least a stop. You might want to check out Mesa Verde National Park also if you have the time. It's off Highway 160 about 12 miles east of Cortez and it's pretty amazing.

Another way you could go, depending on road conditions, would be just to take I25 south from Denver to Walsenburg. Turn west at Walsenburg to pick up Highway 160 there instead of at Monte Vista. Needless to say, I25 isn't as scenic as Highway 285, but 160 west of Walsenberg is pretty nice. This route might be slightly less taxing if you don't care for mountain driving. You go over the relatively minor La Veta Pass and after that you have pretty much a straight shot to Monte Vista where things can get interesting again.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:04 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
^^^ .... Yeah, I was wondering if they had somehow extended 285 to here when my back was turned or something. ...
Shhhh....it's a secret....the Stealth-285 Bypass and Business District Turnpike (Toll). Only a few know about it....one of those national security FEMA roads.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
^^^

Another way you could go, depending on road conditions, would be just to take I25 south from Denver to Walsenburg. Turn west at Walsenburg to pick up Highway 160 there instead of at Monte Vista. Needless to say, I25 isn't as scenic as Highway 285, but 160 west of Walsenberg is pretty nice. This route might be slightly less taxing if you don't care for mountain driving. You go over the relatively minor La Veta Pass and after that you have pretty much a straight shot to Monte Vista where things can get interesting again.

Enjoy your trip!
I live in COS and did this exact drive to Cortez on the way to the Grand Canyon two years ago in March. Like others said, you never know what you'll get in terms of weather. The drive along 160 was beautiful, especially near the the Spanish Peaks. It was dry for us most of the time, Wolf Creek Pass was interesting even though roads were completely dry on either side.

There is a really nice diner on the main road in Cortez, I forget the name but it is like Sammy and June or something?

From Cortez, it was a very easy drive to the four corners and then a long boring drive through northern AZ to the Grand Canyon.

You'll pass both the Sand Dunes National park and Mesa Verde NP.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,843,605 times
You also might want to consider I-70 to Green River, Utah, then take U.S. 191 at the Crescent Junction turnoff. Then head south to Moab, then Blanding and come back southeast to the monument. Regarding weather, once you get past Eagle most of the time you're in the clear once you get to Glenwood Springs, but not ALL the time.

Once you get into Moab (30 miles south of Green River) the temperatures will be hitting 65 degrees.As tourism cranks that economy there are plenty of restaurants and motels, Blanding-not so much. The other town you go through is Monticello, 55 miles south of Moab. Two totally different climates here as Moab's elevation is 3995 ft., and Monticello's is 7100 ft. And the snow can stack up in Monticello in March!

Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
I live in COS and did this exact drive to Cortez on the way to the Grand Canyon two years ago in March. Like others said, you never know what you'll get in terms of weather. The drive along 160 was beautiful, especially near the the Spanish Peaks. It was dry for us most of the time, Wolf Creek Pass was interesting even though roads were completely dry on either side.

There is a really nice diner on the main road in Cortez, I forget the name but it is like Sammy and June or something?

From Cortez, it was a very easy drive to the four corners and then a long boring drive through northern AZ to the Grand Canyon.

You'll pass both the Sand Dunes National park and Mesa Verde NP.
You are probably thinking of Jack & Janell's Country Kitchen at 801 E. Main. It's a local AND tourist favorite. Good home cooking, for sure!

MikeFBE wrote: Shhhh....it's a secret....the Stealth-285 Bypass and Business District Turnpike (Toll). Only a few know about it....one of those national security FEMA roads.

Well, that explains it. I just knew that FEMA has some serious issues with national stock piles of pinto beans.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 02-09-2014 at 10:26 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Keep in mind that ANY of the above suggested routes can be socked in with snowstorms, ground blizzards, and very low temps during March. Icy roads in the shady areas may be a given, even when snowpacked and plowed.

You must monitor the area road conditions and weather forecasts prior to your trip departure, and make your route decision at that time. You may find that widespread storms will keep some routes from even being considered, and your choices may be very few ... at that, the best of inclement road conditions may still be a challenging drive at this time. Consider that this may be the snowiest time of the winter months in the area, and cold front pasages interrupted by clear bright sunshine which melts snow that refreezes into ice may be common.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,782 times
Thanks for all the advice.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 PM

20 posts, read 60,562 times
I will make this simple, Denver to Cortez via 285 S to 50 W to 550 S to 160 W is an incredible drive. If you happen to drive through during a few days of a high pressure system your life will be rewarded. Drive in the day light, safety and scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado