Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 03:33 PM

229 posts, read 317,230 times

Advertisements

Could anybody tell me how it is to live in these two towns?
I'm not talking about weather and climate, I was there in the summer, twice, and I know what to expect in the winter at that altitude, especially Nederland.

I'm talking about the general mood, the people, what's going on.
I'm looking at various places to build a yoga/vegan retreat and currently only Vermont and Colorado are left in my choices.

So anybybody can spill anything on Nederland and Idaho Springs?
Thanks
Phorlan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:57 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Nederland

Others can no doubt provide a fuller picture of why, if my feeling that Nederland would be the decidedly better choice for a yoga/vegan retreat.

If Idaho Springs would provide much contention in this, then my surprise, as well as some things I do not but obviously should know of the place.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 AM

Well, could you be a little more precise?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:49 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Nederland and then Idaho Springs

As no one else has yet, I'll add a few reasons why or not.

Nederland has always seemed, to me, to be a somewhat alternative type of place. Similar in some respects to Crestone. That would be in contrast to, say, Buena Vista, of more a typical small Colorado town being in degrees somewhat conservative and often of tourism. Either relies on our fabulous scenery. Yet in activities Buena Vista as others is of rafting, hunting and fishing. Little of this, other than the scenery, applies in Nederland. Its appeal lies elsewhere, and thus why the greater populace may be more attuned to activates such as yoga.

Having spent little time in Idaho Springs, I cannot exactly say, but the feeling it would not be as well attuned to your purposes. Certainly somewhat picturesque, being a former mining town. As with many mountain communities, tourism being a major economic component now, yet I cannot imagine often as destination only. Most of the traffic on I-70 is headed elsewhere, and oft either to Summit County or home to Denver, and where they'll be looking for any vegan retreat. Perhaps, if compelling enough, they might journey to Idaho Springs specifically for that. But one might also consider the ambience, with the constant racket of I-70 in no way enhancing that.

If a good deal of traffic passes through it, Nederland is definitely a place people travel to. It sees nothing like the numbers Estes Park does (being in some respects a blessing), yet the feeling of those two places is different. Or, your average visitor being more likely to be interested in yoga in Nederland versus Estes Park.

One could as well think of Nederland as in some respects the far rural outlier of suburban Boulder. They have somewhat the same sensibility. With as well a practical closeness. Not that someone in Boulder would not have yoga options in town, yet Nederland is close enough to be reasonable if something were just tempting enough. Many there could be considered a prospective and near perfect clientele.

There will be the charms of any prospective place and how one feels about it. Then, strictly from a business perspective, how they may pencil out.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:32 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,354 times
I agree with much of what Idunn wrote.
There is a yoga retreat between Nederland and Rollinsville Shoshoni Yoga Retreat | Teacher Training, Retreats Boulder
I thought I read that the new owner of the Aspen Lodge iin Allenspark was doing yoga retreats there. I don't know about the vegan aspect of either place though.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:02 AM

Idunn and Neditate,

Thanks for your answers. Yes, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I had that feeling about Idaho Springs and you reinforced it. Thanks
Phil.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Outside of Nedlerand is Shoshoni yoga retreat, in Rollinsville-it's been there for decades and is wonderful. The area is amenable and being close to boulder/denver makes it easier for people to get there. I don't know the other town you mentioned. Nederland is fantastic, IMO. and the community 'vibe' if you look at their chamber of commerce and list of businesses, you get a good feel. They've got a frozen dead guy festival every year [or they did have one-haven't checked lately]! Quirky, eccentric place with nice people. I love ned. Great place to have as a nearby 'base'; they have a food co op, some good restaurants and other amenities.

Also, Crestone area might be a good spot for a yoga retreat in CO. And maybe Pagosa Springs area.

In a way, it doesn't matter what the host town or area thinks, it matters what those flying or driving in to the retreat think, right? If their perception is that people go to such and such place to 'do that kind of thing', then it's a good fit...b/c the perception is also that the area has amenities and surroundings that complement the 'experience' at the retreat. And they'd usually be right in that perception. I doubt people in a given area would be hostile or adverse to your setting up shop; it's pretty live and let live in CO as a whole. But the setting may not enhance the type of business.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado