Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 04:07 PM

9 posts, read 9,856 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a New Jersyian by birth and I absolutely cannot stand it. Everywhere is uniform suburbs and shopping centers. I've never been fond of the beach and quite frankly have no idea how I've managed to live here so long. I currently have a good position at a local coffee company but don't see it as my future, life away from work is sitting at home. I'm a very active individual who loves to run, hike, bike, ski, camp and drink good beer. I lived in New Paltz, NY for a while which was a beautiful little Hudson Valley town but didn't maintain the feeling of vibrance and activity year round. Colorado seems perfect to me but I'm just curious about how the job market is out there. I'm past the whole rat race idea that completely engulfs my current NJ area and know what time of income I could live on, lets say 38k is my basement in terms of income. I'm not opposed to working in the food and beverage industry since thats where most of my experience lies. Ideally I could work at a college or university where I could also take classes as a supplementary benefit. So, what do any of you Coloradoans have to say about my overly idealistic view of reality? haha. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 04:36 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,901,278 times
What part of Colorado? It has areas vastly different from one another. Have you ever visited? Good luck to you.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:42 PM

No I have never visited. However some of my favorite places I've experienced are of a similar ilk (Bar Harbor, ME Lake Placid, NY, New Paltz, NY Burllington, VT). I'd like an area with prime outdoor recreation and even better if it's a college town which has sucked in quite of few people who decided they never wanted to leave. The comradery of old timers with young people is something I've come to be fond of.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:50 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,837,596 times
Many people with your interests choose Fort Collins. If it seems too expensive or competitive for desired work, perhaps consider Greeley. Read up on them here and elsewhere, then visit. If you commit to move, take the best job you are initially offered and find a place nearby. As you learn more about the state, you can move again if somewhere else seems better. Some people want Boulder. If it seems significantly more appealing to you than the alternatives and you are willing to pay the extra housing cost, you could start or end up there. Check the job options and rents in each place.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-17-2016 at 04:58 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 07:33 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,886,734 times
Default I like it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael2 View Post
Everywhere [in NJ] is uniform suburbs and shopping centers.
Also true here.

What is very different here is a sense/feeling of optimism.

I grew up in CT/NY/NJ/NY/MA/NY/MA before moving to Colorado (Springs/Denver).
When I go back to greater Boston, it just seems older and more worn down. And this is even in Wayland where houses cost $700+K.

The major downers here are:
lack of trees. Every tree you was planted by man. 15 inches of precipitation vs 43 makes all the difference
housing costs. Way more. Twice as much.

The major uppers are:
no bugs
sunshine
lower taxes

Nothing in Colorado is similar to Bar Harbor, ME Lake Placid, NY, New Paltz, NY Burllington, VT.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Also true here.

What is very different here is a sense/feeling of optimism.

I grew up in CT/NY/NJ/NY/MA/NY/MA before moving to Colorado (Springs/Denver).
When I go back to greater Boston, it just seems older and more worn down. And this is even in Wayland where houses cost $700+K.

The major downers here are:
lack of trees. Every tree you was planted by man. 15 inches of precipitation vs 43 makes all the difference
housing costs. Way more. Twice as much.

The major uppers are:
no bugs
sunshine
lower taxes

Nothing in Colorado is similar to Bar Harbor, ME Lake Placid, NY, New Paltz, NY Burllington, VT.
Housing costs twice as much as what?? In NJ the property taxes are far and above almost all other 49 states. To get a 1 BR apartment you're guaranteed to pay over $1,000 where I live. The lack of trees is disappointing to me, but the presence of large mountains may make up for it!

Old 01-17-2016, 08:09 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,006,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Agreed. And it's essential that one visits a potentially new location for relocation. There is no way that any northeastern US experience will prepare one for such a different area (CO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael2 View Post
The lack of trees is disappointing to me, but the presence of large mountains may make up for it!
I'd strongly argue that that is easier said than done. Colorado will be sparse and bland foliage-wise from a NJ background. I've found that mountains - though grand - do not make up for lack of trees and lushness.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:37 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,466,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Agreed. And it's essential that one visits a potentially new location for relocation. There is no way that any northeastern US experience will prepare one for such a different area (CO).

I'd strongly argue that that is easier said than done. Colorado will be sparse and bland foliage-wise from a NJ background. I've found that mountains - though grand - do not make up for lack of trees and lushness.
Yeah I agree, the front range is not that pretty. The lack of trees means lack of privacy in a lot of neighborhoods. For whatever reason they want short split rail fences so you can see what every neighbor is up to on the weekends. Drives me nuts.

Seems the OP wants a vacation town. dont most?

Old 01-17-2016, 08:50 PM

Well, we all live completely on top of one another here and all there is to see is barren trees and cracked pavement so quite frankly any alternative save hell itself seems to be better. Most areas which supply foliage around here only do so for a brief period of time. Lush vegetation year round is only possible in the Adirondack region where pines are omnipresent. I'm not that keen on the notion that visiting is an absolute must. I would probably fall in love with almost every place I go. The Fort Collins idea which one user suggested previously seems most appealing currently. A change of scenery is necessary, even if it involves plenty of man planted trees. Have any of ya'll been to NJ!!??

Old 01-18-2016, 09:58 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,691,901 times
Obviously you've never spent any time reading through the many many threads here about moving from the East Coast to Colorado. There are dozens of us (me included) who moved to Colorado from DC, Virginia, NJ, NY, etc. etc. We know what we are talking about.

Two things I missed living in Colorado since 1970 -- the ocean and greenery. Colorado is absolutely gorgeous and I would not want to live on the East Coast again, but when I retired I moved somewhere with both an ocean and lots of green!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado