Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2021, 05:14 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,249,236 times

Advertisements

I dont fish but have a friend that does and fishing the Uncompahgre between the town of Ridgway and Ridgway res might happen.. and if my friend catches anything is it safe to eat.

This is a link on fly fishing the river https://www.flyfisherman.com/editori...e-river/152247 and there is mention of the river being polluted because of all the abandoned mines up stream. But it also sounds like there have been long term cleanup efforts going back many years.

The link above talks about a spot below the reservoir that gets stocked etc and apparently is great fly fishing.

But what about the reservoir itself or just upstream of the res?

This link shows mercury concentrations in a bunch of Colorado lakes https://cdphe.colorado.gov/water-qua...dCDyMae4-krWH8

From the link and data above, the fish out of Ridgway res actually have LOW mercury concentrations.

The type of fish and dates of data are not the same but the fish out of Ridgway actually have considerably lower mercury concentrations than Elevenmile which is known for fishing (and tasty fish).

So if Ridgway res actually looks like it is better than a lot of lakes, can you assume the Uncompahgre river above the res is also good for fishing (and eating the fish).

Any history on when the river might have been polluted and clean up effort time frames?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 05:36 PM

hmm another interesting article (its arsenic and not mercury that might be an issue)
https://www.telluridenews.com/the_wa...0(UWP)%20study.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:45 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
I...

So if Ridgway res actually looks like it is better than a lot of lakes, can you assume the Uncompahgre river above the res is also good for fishing (and eating the fish).

I suggest you contact Jim9251 on the Colorado and Retirement forum and ask. He always fishes at the reservoir and can likely you tell you. He just posted that fishing is his favorite outdoor activity!

Old 03-04-2021, 06:23 PM

Hope he see's this!!! Yep, fishing on the res is also interesting. The study link above tested Small Mouth Bass and Rainbow Trout. I dont get fishing myself.. but two of my friends think its the best thing on the planet to do LOL.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:40 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
Hope he see's this!!! Yep, fishing on the res is also interesting. The study link above tested Small Mouth Bass and Rainbow Trout. I dont get fishing myself.. but two of my friends think its the best thing on the planet to do LOL.

I have often thought fishing is a way for people to stay outside and be sort of zen-like present and do very little but feel like they're doing something.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:54 AM

I tried fishing once about 40 years ago. Nothing happened for 15 minutes and that did me in. Short attention span maybe LOL.. However.. we have participated in a Trout and Pike fish fry pot luck.. That was a very good thing!

Old 03-14-2021, 06:41 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
I fished the area for 10 years. Trout are farm raised and stocked by the thousands by Game and Fish several times a year. Since the limit is four and you might eat one or two, you'll be fine. My suggestion is either fly fishing or using power bait and light line. Have fun!

Old 03-15-2021, 08:12 AM

Thanks!!! I wish I knew enough to ask some more detailed questions.. but dont. All I know about fishing from living around Elevenmile reservoir is that its a lot more complicated than you would think. My two friends are experienced so will probably figure it out and I have passed on your advice.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:39 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
Go find a park ranger, they're all VERY nice, and say help me. You'll not only be given fishing tips but shown some great spots. There are small ponds at Pa-Co-Chu-Puk (known locally as Cow Creek) that are heavily stocked and very easy to catch your limit of trout. Have fun good luck!

https://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/Parks/ridgway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: