Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 01:01 PM

7 posts, read 4,938 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
About me:
I'm seeking a friendly, scenic place, affordable to live in. Is that possible in 2017? I've been in NJ way too long. My 17 year bureaucratic IT job burned me out and became a daily grind, like most jobs, I think. Roads are jammed with stressed-out, hostile drivers. So I'm psychologically ready to dump most of my possessions and do a minimal move - a lifestyle make-over, if you will. I'd even like to get rid of my car, if possible. A 'walk-able' neighborhood would be ideal. And I wish to rent a relatively small place or one bedroom apartment, at least to begin with.

I have a major back problem, so I need access to excellent medical care for treating my chronic back pain. I used to be very physically active on the bike, trails, and waters. I miss the many outdoor activities from my earlier years such as cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, backpacking, kayaking, surfing, you name it. I aspire to rebuild muscle strength lost over the past decade and start over, with less intensity this time.

I'm also working on my diet and trying to reduce processed foods. But I'm not a vegetarian. Whole Foods is the kind of place I prefer to shop at here in NJ, especially for quality fish and veggies. I enjoy outside grilling more than indoor stove/oven preparation.

An inter-generational place would be great. My present situation didn't have the right vibes right from the beginning. The young ladies downstairs could care less about me. In general, that's how my neighborhood in Central New Jersey feels.

Any suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated. Could Colorado be a good fit?
Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 01:06 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Yes, you can get what you seek here in COLO, mostly in the "Front Range" area of I-25. Issue is affordability.

Check padmapper.com for availability of living spaces in Denver ($$$) and Boulder ($$$$). Both have walkable areas. Denver has good transit; use our search tool to find our thread on car-free living in Denver.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:18 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
What is your rental budget?

Old 01-26-2017, 05:13 PM

8,501 posts, read 8,794,511 times
If you can find a place you can afford and can handle winter, maybe downtown Durango or Glenwood Springs.

Ruidoso or Silver City NM would be cheaper and warmer / less snow. Might not be as good on medical care but mentioned to give more options.

If you want inter-generational and active neighbor relations maybe look into co-housing communities. http://www.ic.org/directory/cohousing-communities/

Old 01-26-2017, 07:08 PM

7 posts, read 4,938 times
Default Wondering about reasonable rents

I'm over my budget now in NJ. $1400 is excessive. What the range I can expect? I have a few months to figure it out.
Jay

Old 01-26-2017, 07:21 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Not sure Denver area, or possibly even Colorado, would be the best fit for you. Rents are high and rising along most of the Front Range. Additionally, on top of trying to recover your activity level, you will be saddled with a radical change in elevation, which is a physical challenge unto its self. Chronic back pain may be further problematic with our cold weather and snow days, unless you are far south or west where it is warmer, in which case you then may not have access to the proper medical care you need. Additionally, while there are some walkable neighborhoods in a number of cities, as a whole, Colorado is very car centric and you would be at a significant disadvantage to dump your car before moving here. Driving here, while not as congested as NJ, is getting worse and more stressful in most major cities. Keep in mind population density here means that you will need to be near the major population centers to have access to better medical attention, more food choices, and walkability access. Population density here is nothing like NJ where you can be 30-60 minutes away from nearly everything. 30 minutes can alternately not get you out of Denver or put you in a field with nothing around you depending on which direction you head.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Colorado comes with a pretty steep price. There iwll be continued growth pains and lack of infrastructure (water and roads) for the population.

If the climate is right, look to Rapid City / Black Hills of income tax free South Dakota, especially if you have military health benefits. SD is a favored domicile of retirees.

New Mexico or Idaho or AZ or NV as plan B. (all have areas that are lower cost and possibly suit your physical / medical needs better)

Old 01-26-2017, 10:26 PM

8,501 posts, read 8,794,511 times
The rent range will vary by city but it sounds like you can select a place based on fit rather than just budget.

Come visit for a week or more before deciding if you don't know the state.

If you visit Boulder, you might say this it or you might say this is too much and too much like what I want to leave. Durango might be a hit or too small, remote & boring.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-26-2017 at 10:37 PM..

Old 01-26-2017, 11:03 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
If you need Whole Foods and depth of medical care and a walkable town, the small towns are not likely to have all those. Front Range cities and 'burbs will. However, rent might be out of reach, depending what you want. CO rentals, even in the small towns, have become expensive.

That intergenerational closeness you seek doesn't seem to exist much, unless among family. Are you hoping that young tenants in your building will look after you when you are physically in pain? Drive you around so you can get rid of your car?

That is really expecting an awful lot from strangers. You'd better keep the car...

Old 01-26-2017, 11:44 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
If you had a larger budget, I'd say Durango might be a good fit, but that town has become pretty expensive these days and you'd be hard pressed trying to get by on $1300. You might consider checking out Grand Junction. It has decent medical facilities and the rents are cheaper. It has a public transit system that might work for you - depending. The climate there tends to be somewhat warmer and drier than other towns in Colorado, and that might help with your back pain. In my personal experience, the people there are friendly and open. I've never really had a generational problem anywhere in Colorado, but I'm a retired teacher/librarian who has always enjoyed the company of younger folks. You may have to be the one who reaches out first, but you'll almost always get a positive response if you do.

I agree with those who have suggested New Mexico. It's cheaper than Colorado and New Mexicans tend to be a friendly bunch in general. Albuquerque has good medical facilities through the University of NM med school. I've consulted doctors there with good results. I also like Silver City, but it's been a while since I've had the chance to visit there. It was a nice town back in the day. You might post your question on the NM Forum. I'm sure the folks there would be glad to give you more specific suggestions Best of luck in finding your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado