Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 03:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,175 times

Advertisements

We are planning a road trip from Las Vegas to Denver end of this year starting on 30 October, we are from South Africa so I really need some good advice please.

we only have 5 days and have the next stops in mind:

Day 1: Hoover dam to Salt-lake city
Day 2: Salt-lake to Grand Junction stopping at the Double arch and Colorado river overlook
Day 3: Driving to Vail
Day 4: From Vail to Denver stopping at Mount Evans.
Day 5: Exploring Denver before flying back.

I have read quite a bit and seems like the weather plays a big role, how safe are the mountain passes that time of year? We don't have snow in South Africa, what precautions should we take driving with a rental car?

Any suggestions or safer routs to take?
What other sites that would be worth a visit.

Thank you.
Minette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 04:00 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,310,162 times
I did the trip a few years ago, Denver to Vegas (and back).

Is there a reason you want to see Salt Lake City? If not a high priority, I suggest you take I-15 to I-70 instead. Stop and visit visit Zion and Bryce National Parks. Stunning scenery. Bryce is like nothing you've ever seen. In eastern Utah, stop in Moab and visit Arches National Park.

In late Oct/early Nov, weather can be anything in COlorado - could be sunny and 25C, or a blizzard and below 0C in the mountains. Suggest a rental car with All Wheel Drive, and make sure the car has all-season tires and not summer tires.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:32 AM

587 posts, read 564,939 times
Not sure if your planning on driving or hiking Mount Evans but Mount Evans Road will more than likely be closed by October 30th.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:41 AM

20,192 posts, read 9,096,659 times
go earlier in the year if that's your itinerary

Old 06-20-2017, 06:16 AM

3,606 posts, read 9,073,489 times
If seeing the natural beauty of the area is your goal there is no good reason to visit Salt Lake City.

I would drive from The Hoover Dam to St. George Utah and visit Zion National Park, from there to Fruita, Colorado and visit The Colorado National Monument. That part of the drive should have no real issues with weather at that time of the year. From Vail on you will have the slight possibility of snow, it usually melts off very quickly if it does and shouldn't change your plans much. You could stop in Vail but it's a very quiet time of the year and not much going on. I would stop in Glenwood Springs instead and enjoy a soak in Iron Mountain Hot Springs and go up to the Glenwood Caverns and the following day head onto Denver.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 AM

6,829 posts, read 10,551,256 times
By that time of year Mt. Evans might be a problem. You may still be able to get cog railway tickets up Pikes Peak at that time, but that is also not 100% depending on the season we're having. Last year would have been no problem, who knows about this year. I do think you might enjoy Glenwood Springs and avoiding Salt Lake for the Zion route.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:42 AM

56 posts, read 92,713 times
Unless you have a specific reason to see Salt Lake City, I wouldn't add that to the itinerary. Having just done that drive, the I-15 to I-70 is pretty straight forward and with only 5 days, I wouldn't go north to SLC and then back down to GJ. It seems to be a waste of time IMO.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,175 times
Thank you for all the advise, i will take all in consideration in finalizing our trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado