Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 08:00 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times

Advertisements

Hello - are there any good hiking trail recommendations near Estes Park or RMNP? I know the All Trails site has a bunch but wanted to see if there were any recommended here.

Looking for something moderate, not extreme. With scenic views and not insanely hard to get to.

Any clothing recommendations? Unsure if it will be cold or just "cool".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 09:05 PM

51 posts, read 57,425 times
Outside RMNP: I love Brainard Lake area near Ward and trails from the Hessie trailhead in Nederland. These areas of south of Estes Park.

For Brainard Lake, Lake Isabelle is one of my favorite hikes. And you can extend that by going to the far end of the lake and/or hiking up towards the Continental Divide. There are other trails there too.

For Hessie, Lost Lake and the Devils Thumb loop is gorgeous and you can extend to one of the higher alpine lakes there.

Those are popular areas. For Hessie there is a shuttle from the Nederland P & R. I am not sure when it operates at the time you will be in the area but you can google that.

You will want to be prepared for any season weather; I once had it snow on me in RMNP in September.

Definitely suggest bringing a map with you (are you in CO? REI is a great store to stop in). Estes Park has a number of outdoors shops. They can give you beta on good trails, depending on crowds, weather, etc.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:06 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,354 times
When are you going to be here?
This is a good site for hikes in RMNP:
Hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park | RockyMountainHikingTrails.com
Read this info about crowds and parking issues before you go: https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/index.htm

Pro Trails is a great site if you want to check out hikes in the Indian Peaks Wilderness that annie mentioned: ProTrails | Hiking Trails in Indian Peaks Wilderness Area
(Lake Isabelle is also my fave hike. Blue Lake is great too.)
The Hessie shuttle runs only on weekends (and Labor Day) until October 8. https://www.bouldercounty.org/news/2...y-26-its-free/
FYI the Brainard Lake Rec Area is a ZOO on weekends. You have to get there very early. I have heard more than a few "horror stories" of people waiting 45 minutes to get in. Friends were turned away last weekend because all parking lots were full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: