Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 06:13 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times

Advertisements

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/1...-traction-law/

"Colorado’s winter driving restrictions on a mountain stretch of Interstate 70 will be in full force for nine months beginning Sept. 1 under a bill signed into law Friday by Gov. Jared Polis.

The beefed-up traction law takes particular aim at drivers of two-wheel-drive passenger vehicles. Each September through May, they will face the requirement of having specialized winter tires or carrying traction devices while traveling on I-70 between Dotsero and Morrison. The old traction law had been activated only before and during actual winter weather.

House Bill 1207 also increases the minimum tread depth for tires on all vehicles — including those with four-wheel-drive — from an eighth of an inch to three-sixteenths of an inch.

Though I-70 is the only highway corridor where the increased restrictions will be in effect for nine months a year, they will apply to other corridors when the state activates the traction law for storms.

“While the views can be breathtaking, the conditions can be downright frightening during the winter,” Polis said in remarks prepared for the afternoon bill-signing ceremony near the Eisenhower-Johnson Memorial Tunnel. “We know how dangerous they can be without having chains, tread depth or four-wheel drive. This bill will help keep drivers safer on the road.”"

I think this is a good idea. Personally, I've used Winter tires (Blizzaks) for years. They make a huge improvement to the ability to stop on an icy road.

I don't agree that having a tread depth of just 6/32 on all season tires on a 4WD vehicle provides equal stopping ability. For stopping, 4WD is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 06:52 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
[ For stopping, 4WD is irrelevant.
Not quite irrelevant, but you do have to know what you are doing. With 4x4, you can use your gears to slow down to a stop with much better control than with 2x4. I would agree that most people who own 4x4 vehicles don't know how to drive in inclement weather and depend on 4x4 to do everything for them. I see many 4x4 vehicles in wrecks when if the driver only had a 2x4 vehicle, they wouldn't attempt to do the things they are doing in a 4x4.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:59 AM

385 posts, read 324,283 times
Take home for traveling I-70 between Dotsero and Morrison:

1) the winter driving traction laws begun on September 1 -- not when the first winter weather hits -- and run continuously for nine months.

2) increase tread depth by 1/16 of an inch (1/4 > 3/16)

3) same winter driving rules will apply to other corridors when state activates them

Old 05-18-2019, 09:04 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Not quite irrelevant, but you do have to know what you are doing. With 4x4, you can use your gears to slow down to a stop with much better control than with 2x4. I would agree that most people who own 4x4 vehicles don't know how to drive in inclement weather and depend on 4x4 to do everything for them. I see many 4x4 vehicles in wrecks when if the driver only had a 2x4 vehicle, they wouldn't attempt to do the things they are doing in a 4x4.
I had a Jeep Wrangler (obviously 4x4) when I lived in Colorado, which I still have. I never had problems, but I kept good tires on it which were all terrain as I off roaded a lot, but they were also good in snow. I-70 can get pretty wild in the winter, and with all the traffic going and coming from the ski resorts this is probably a good idea. Yes, I have sat for hours on 70 due to accidents and stuck cars ahead.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
pretty Ironic we are still in INCHES I though Andrew Johnson (1866) Richard Nixon (1973) Ford (1975) had finally fixed that...
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ars-180964147/

And many of us were NOT stuck for decades of driving trucks and school buses OVER the passes,,, No I-70, No tunnels, pre-radial tires...

Life is better now, and the nanny regs usually close the roads BEFORE stuff gets too deep... yet there are those who are incapable and need to be 'protected' (enforced to comply).

Good for business (more Gov Jobs, more things for lawmakers to fret over besides progressive community development or the tough dilemmas in politics (over which they might lose their job))

Win:Win

Old 05-19-2019, 05:40 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
You should read the comment section of any facebook story on this. All the poors with bald tires are up in arms over what they perceive as an infringement on their "rights" lol...

Old 05-19-2019, 09:20 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
And of course the rental car agencies have zero culpability. If they send someone into the mountains with an ill-equipped car, the renter gets to pay the fine. Typical.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-19-2019 at 09:32 AM..

Old 05-19-2019, 11:52 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
How are they enforcing this? For instance, if I want to take my 2wd Mazda up skiing in April when there's no snow on the roads, am I getting pulled over?

I think this is probably a smart idea, but I hope they enforce it only at times when there's snow on the road or in the forecast. I don't think they should be pulling the autumn leaf observers over in October if there's no snow in the forecast.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:14 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
How are they enforcing this? For instance, if I want to take my 2wd Mazda up skiing in April when there's no snow on the roads, am I getting pulled over?

I think this is probably a smart idea, but I hope they enforce it only at times when there's snow on the road or in the forecast. I don't think they should be pulling the autumn leaf observers over in October if there's no snow in the forecast.
The enforcement is simple. If you cause a traffic jam because you get stuck, you pay.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:03 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Does this only apply to Colorado vehicles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: