Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 03:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,811 posts, read 58,359,620 times

Advertisements

And you think a non english speaking 23 yo Cuban immigrant would associate a square with dots as a safe zone to ditch his $300k vehicle.?

Ok, carry on (in dream world)

I just drive trucks and employ drivers (For the last 50 yrs)

Old 12-27-2021, 05:48 PM

23 posts, read 9,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Agreed.

With respect to signs, the xenophobia and ethnocentricity of the US is the problem.
No, that's really not what the problem is.

Quote:

The signs should be international, as they are in Europe.
There is no need to do that here. Have everyone who drives a rig learn enough eng to read the signs, and that's it. Can't compare the USA to Europe here; not the same thing.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:28 PM

18,259 posts, read 25,949,010 times
Another thing to consider is using a runaway ramp and having to deal with the costs. There's a youtube available from Autoblog on May 1, 2019, story by Zac Palmer. He talks about how far this truck went up the ramp. BTW, it's I-70 coming down the hill from the Eisenhower Tunnel. Hard telling what the truck was carrying or what the GVW was, but if that dude goes halfway up that hill it's a cinch he wasn't hauling light bulbs and toilet paper to be shipped to your local dollar store. And while the Port Of Entry people and the Colorado State Patrol obviously encourages truckers to use those pits if the driver thinks he is in trouble, well the towing company is going to send you a nice bill for their services. And there will be a fair amount of C-DOT people cleaning up the mess after the tow truck pulls that load down. I'm not sure how much money it would be, but I'm sure it's in the thousands of dollars.

I'm wondering if this was brought up in court. JMHO, but a company like this who has already got a couple dozen infractions would tell the driver about those runaway ramp pits. I fault the company for not advising the driver of that possibility. If the company is not aware of that possibility they are doubly at fault. That's what truck foremen and dispatchers do, for crying out loud. They are supposed to know these things. In several ways I would have liked to hear that trial, being in the room to hear the whole trial.

This whole situation is bad news in more ways than one.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-27-2021 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 12-27-2021, 09:16 PM

13 posts, read 6,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Another thing to consider is using a runaway ramp and having to deal with the costs. There's a youtube available from Autoblog on May 1, 2019, story by Zac Palmer. He talks about how far this truck went up the ramp. BTW, it's I-70 coming down the hill from the Eisenhower Tunnel. Hard telling what the truck was carrying or what the GVW was, but if that dude goes halfway up that hill it's a cinch he wasn't hauling light bulbs and toilet paper to be shipped to your local dollar store. And while the Port Of Entry people and the Colorado State Patrol obviously encourages truckers to use those pits if the driver thinks he is in trouble, well the towing company is going to send you a nice bill for their services. And there will be a fair amount of C-DOT people cleaning up the mess after the tow truck pulls that load down. I'm not sure how much money it would be, but I'm sure it's in the thousands of dollars.

I'm wondering if this was brought up in court. JMHO, but a company like this who has already got a couple dozen infractions would tell the driver about those runaway ramp pits. I fault the company for not advising the driver of that possibility. If the company is not aware of that possibility they are doubly at fault. That's what truck foremen and dispatchers do, for crying out loud. They are supposed to know these things. In several ways I would have liked to hear that trial, being in the room to hear the whole trial.

why is he driving if he can critically think on his two feet. and he was reallyy thinking when crash happened acording to witness who said he needed a phone because he can not be there or not taking a deal because he wanted a onl a ticket and to walk free. and that shows no remorse what he did or guilt well he will be in jail for alot of years he can think then about remorse and guilt

Old 12-27-2021, 09:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,811 posts, read 58,359,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Another thing to consider is using a runaway ramp and having to deal with the costs. ... BTW, it's I-70 coming down the hill from the Eisenhower Tunnel. Hard telling what the truck was carrying (Lumber) or what the GVW was (Not Overloaded), ... Port Of Entry people and the Colorado State Patrol obviously encourages truckers to use those pits if the driver thinks he is in trouble, well the towing company is going to send you a nice bill for their services. And there will be a fair amount of C-DOT people cleaning up the mess after the tow truck pulls that load down. I'm not sure how much money it would be, but I'm sure it's in the thousands of dollars.

...I fault the company for not advising the driver of that possibility. If the company is not aware of that possibility they are doubly at fault. That's what truck foremen and dispatchers do, for crying out loud. They are supposed to know these things. In several ways I would have liked to hear that trial, being in the room to hear the whole trial.

Money spent on recovery of vehicle is peanuts, non-consequential to loss of life + millions in compensation... court, prosecutors, jail, prison

Driver contacted Dispatch earlier in the downhill, commented that his brakes were smoking (Not sure if driver was at a stop during this call, hope so!) Dispatch (admittedly never had driven a truck) advised driver to continue to Denver (Since it appeared close on the map).

Plenty went wrong. Including social media / common people / movie stars trying to make the judgement on
proper sentencing. Pretty sad for all. Including the many who have been in Surgery, Physical Therapy, loss of work / pay / vehicle, quality of life for 1.5+ yrs, and possibly for the remainder of their (miserable / unhealthy / expensive / disruptive) life ....
"We're not saying that there can't be changes in the law looked at, but a petition to go someplace else other than the legal system is not the way to do it," Gage Evans, the widow of William Bailey, told "GMA."

"He is a young man who made very bad decisions. And he has to understand that decisions have consequences," she said.

Asked how she is doing after the death of her husband, Evans said, "I feel like I'm walking around without an arm and a leg on one side. He was truly that much a part of my heart and mind and psyche and body."
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/cras...ry?id=81907265

Old 12-28-2021, 06:56 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,315,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixstyle3 View Post
No, that's really not what the problem is.

There is no need to do that here. Have everyone who drives a rig learn enough eng to read the signs, and that's it. Can't compare the USA to Europe here; not the same thing.
Based on recent events, apparently it is.

I've been in some small countries overseas (Scandinavia, Holland, Israel, for example) where there are less than 10 million people who speak their native language. So what do they do to interact with the world? They learn English. There are more English speakers in those countries, percentage-wise, than here in the US.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:50 AM

15,515 posts, read 9,211,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And you think a non english speaking 23 yo Cuban immigrant would associate a square with dots as a safe zone to ditch his $300k vehicle.?

Ok, carry on (in dream world)

I just drive trucks and employ drivers (For the last 50 yrs)
The problem is Americans who can't understand international symbols, because they aren't used here. The dots on road signs represent gravel. So if the person is familiar with international signs, but doesn't know what a runaway truck ramp is, they would theoretically be able to figure out that it's a ramp leading to gravel, and that it's maybe a good idea to use it.

I don't know if Aguilera-Mederos would have been able to figure it out or not, but I'm pretty sure the odds would have been a lot better then him seeing a a bunch of words that he can't read.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 12-28-2021 at 10:59 AM..

Old 12-28-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The problem is Americans who can't understand international symbols, because they aren't used here.
Well, if they were used here and on the exam for a license...

Old 12-28-2021, 06:03 PM

23 posts, read 9,358 times
Quote:
They learn English.
EXACTLY!!!!

Quote:
BThere are more English speakers in those countries, percentage-wise, than here in the US.
So those countries have better than 91% of the pop speaking English? Possible, but hard to believe.

Old 12-28-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixstyle3 View Post
So those countries have better than 91% of the pop speaking English? Possible, but hard to believe.
Where did you get 91%? I googled it and found 78%.

I've been to all the places I mentioned. Under age 40, it's close to 100% (not including Syrian refugees). You can just start speaking to them in English. You don't have to ask if they speak English.
In Iceland, everyone speaks at least 4 languages - Icelandic, Danish, English and an elective language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado