Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 08:18 PM
st1 st1 started this thread

1 posts, read 2,668 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am currently in search of a better place to live/work than where I currently reside. I live near Dallas TX now, and have always wanted to live in CO. I have always loved the outdoors, hiking, camping, fishing, skiing, etc, etc, and would love to live within a few hours of that kind of year-round recreation.

I have been in TX for about 2 years and would like to leave in the next year. (I would actually like to leave today, but I can hold on for a little while...) As an engineer, I suppose I would have the best chance at finding work in the front range area. One of the main reasons that I want to leave TX is the population. I grew up in a rural area of OK and really like small towns and low population densities. I currently live about 20 miles from the edge of the suburbs. That is acceptable for my home, but to get away from the Dallas crowds seems to require a 2 hour drive. How do the front range cities compare to the Dallas area in population density and sprawl? Could I live ~20 miles outside of the city and not feel crowded?

I would really prefer to live west of the front range. I visited the Durango and Silverton/Ouray/Telluride areas last summer and loved it. I would take a considerable pay cut to live in that area, but would like to keep working as an engineer. Should I be able to find that sort of work in one of the western towns? Grand Junction, Montrose, Durango? How is the population/sprawl around Grand Junction?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 12:11 AM

476 posts, read 2,319,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st1 View Post
Hello all,

I am currently in search of a better place to live/work than where I currently reside. I live near Dallas TX now, and have always wanted to live in CO. I have always loved the outdoors, hiking, camping, fishing, skiing, etc, etc, and would love to live within a few hours of that kind of year-round recreation.

I have been in TX for about 2 years and would like to leave in the next year. (I would actually like to leave today, but I can hold on for a little while...) As an engineer, I suppose I would have the best chance at finding work in the front range area. One of the main reasons that I want to leave TX is the population. I grew up in a rural area of OK and really like small towns and low population densities. I currently live about 20 miles from the edge of the suburbs. That is acceptable for my home, but to get away from the Dallas crowds seems to require a 2 hour drive. How do the front range cities compare to the Dallas area in population density and sprawl? Could I live ~20 miles outside of the city and not feel crowded?

I would really prefer to live west of the front range. I visited the Durango and Silverton/Ouray/Telluride areas last summer and loved it. I would take a considerable pay cut to live in that area, but would like to keep working as an engineer. Should I be able to find that sort of work in one of the western towns? Grand Junction, Montrose, Durango? How is the population/sprawl around Grand Junction?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
Ouray and Silverton are very small and so I would pretty much rule those out for engineer jobs and the winters are harsh up in Silverton, Ouray gets lots of snow but not as much as Silverton. Durango has a four season climate with lots of sunny days. It is really growing and I have seen engineer jobs in the paper before so I think you could probably get on there and for sure Farmington, New Mexico needs and has engineers. Quite a few work in Farmington but live in Durango. It is an hour away. Farmington is the third largest city in New Mexico, second if you include the Navajo Nation. Grand Junction, I am not sure, dont know the area too well. It is somewhat deserty like Farmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado