Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:18 AM

20 posts, read 49,248 times

Advertisements

Please email the City of Columbia water services before you pay your next bill. They are now charging a "convenience fee" to pay online EVEN THOUGH I OPTED TO GO PAPERLESS. I am so upset about this. I could MAYBE see using the fee as an incentive to get people to go paperless, but I am saving THEM money by them not sending me a paper bill yet they are charging me a fee to pay online. I no longer have a convenient envelope to send in my payment by mail if I wanted to do that. Honestly, I'd rather go back to paper and pay for the stamp than pay this convenience fee, even if paperless bills are better for the environment. There are plenty of other utilities (i.e. SCE&G) who drop the fee if you go paperless, or who don't charge a fee at all if you pay online...so why can't our lovely city do the same?? Again, please email them about this issue!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 05:45 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,586,076 times
They charge a convenience fee because when you use a card they have to pay a fee to the credit card company/bank. You pay SCE&G online via ACH (automatic clearinghouse), but the city's site requires a card right now.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 PM

Not a good reason. I'll just go back to paper statements...wasn't that costing them money too?? That's like the gas stations who all of a sudden started charging extra to use a credit card. Thanks, but I'd rather pay a couple cents more and use the gas station across the street. What happened to trying to ATTRACT customers, not alienate them?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:47 PM

Oh and my main point is that it's fine to charge a fee if you still receive paper statements but choose to pay online, but when I am already SAVING THEM MONEY by going paperless, they shouldn't be charging me a fee when I don't even have another convenient way to pay anymore!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,586,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingirl1999 View Post
Not a good reason. I'll just go back to paper statements...wasn't that costing them money too?? That's like the gas stations who all of a sudden started charging extra to use a credit card. Thanks, but I'd rather pay a couple cents more and use the gas station across the street. What happened to trying to ATTRACT customers, not alienate them?
You're not getting charged for online statements, you're getting charged to make your payment online via credit card - big difference.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:06 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,268,830 times
Quote:
Oh and my main point is that it's fine to charge a fee if you still receive paper statements but choose to pay online, but when I am already SAVING THEM MONEY by going paperless, they shouldn't be charging me a fee when I don't even have another convenient way to pay anymore!
I recall reading when they first implemented this that they were required by law to charge the customer any fee they encounter while processing payments. It is like many of our laws, well intentioned but not in step with the times.

Why don't you just pay them through your banks online bill pay? It wouldn't cost you a stamp and if there are enough others doing the same the bank arranges an EFT so the whole thing goes paperless.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:28 PM

23 posts, read 39,613 times
yeah but they could be nice like the grocery stores and gas stations and just pay the merchant fees for us. seeing as how all of us give them millions a year. big utility corporations are worse than homeless people about getting a dollar.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 AM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 454,729 times
Quote:
I guess those petrol stations are charging a "skimming protection fee" where they will actually "make sure" your debit card data is safe and no strange cameras nor skimmers are inserted inside of the petrol pump or an ATM. Many businesses in the U.S. are learning the new trend - Ban Your Customer and win. Not sure what they win, but to some it seems, once banned and abused, a customer seems to spend more (elsewhere?). Some companies will begin charging "honesty fee" where a customer is guaranteed an honest, no cheat, no scam service. ;-)

Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,033,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
They charge a convenience fee because when you use a card they have to pay a fee to the credit card company/bank. You pay SCE&G online via ACH (automatic clearinghouse), but the city's site requires a card right now.
FYI...I pay my SCE&G bill on-line w/a credit card and don't get charged a fee b/c I agreed to go paperless w/my bill.

As for the water bill, just pay that straight out of the checking account w/on-line bill pay, no problems whatsoever doing it that way.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 454,729 times
SCE&G keeps on raising kWh cost several times per year now with no slow down in the horizon. Is there a group to fight that kind of greed without going solar/wind and moving into 500 sq. ft. homes. Cost of living has become ridiculous. All these people who are trying to survive this corporate greed are moving to places like Mid SC.

This is an image of the newest rate increase (post factum). A third or a fourth one this year: http://yfrog.com/bcscegj

Last edited by neonrider; 09-14-2010 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of: