Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:11 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite places to eat when I lived in Columbia was Just Us Cafe. I loved the pancakes and bacon and their coffee was fantastic. It's been one of the places I have kept following now that I moved back to my hometown. So Sunday I was dumbfounded by a post to their Facebook page. There was a shot of two men standing inside the restaurant. One of them wore a Trump 2020 shirt and hat. Under where Trump 2020 was printed were the words "Eff Your Feelings" although the eff was the four letter word spelled out.

The other man was pointing at the shirt and the post included the words "This is us at Just Us." In other words, the man very apparently appeared to be endorsing the sentiments on the shirt. The man had a towel stuck in his pants pocket, so I assumed he was on staff and perhaps an owner of Just Us and later learned that was correct.

It did not take long for others to see the post and question it. I asked if they really thought this was the kind of message they wanted to send patrons, more the three words and not the candidate. Others were a bit more harsh. Within an hour, the post had been taken down. I did a search on FB for the cafe and not surprisingly many (myself included) had screen shot the pictures.

I didn't think much about it after Sunday until I saw yesterday that the owner had posted an apology (at first) and as others called him out on the post, he later told us we should stay away from his place. Interestingly, someone commented that there is a table in there with a swastika carved into it. I assumed this was not the case... until the owner confirmed it was still there and said the reason they had not fixed the table was they did not want the table to stand out from the rest as it would look different if it were refinished and replaced. I had to let that just sit there for a minute.In other posts, the owner is cussing at those who don't agree with him. Meanwhile, the Facebook review average has gone from 4.7 stars to 4.0

If you want to know how NOT to handle social media if you own a restaurant or business, this guy could tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 05:01 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
I've been following that, as well, and also similar things posted by one of the owners of Citta del Cottone where one of the owners had posted misogynistic, transphobic and homophobic things on Facebook. Most of us in NoMa are boycotting that establishment, so I don't expect them to last long.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:56 PM

1,124 posts, read 925,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I've been following that, as well, and also similar things posted by one of the owners of Citta del Cottone where one of the owners had posted misogynistic, transphobic and homophobic things on Facebook. Most of us in NoMa are boycotting that establishment, so I don't expect them to last long.
That’s stupid. They let the guy go, but punish the co owner and all the employees who depend on a paycheck because you’re mad at him.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:35 AM

421 posts, read 574,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
That’s stupid. They let the guy go, but punish the co owner and all the employees who depend on a paycheck because you’re mad at him.
Yeah. They feel that If you even associate with someone who makes questionable statements you are just as guilty and should be held accountable.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:14 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
I don't agree with the politics of many actors in Hollywood, but I still watch and enjoy movies. I don't understand how this would keep you out of a restaurant you otherwise enjoyed even if the business supports Trump. I fully support whatever president we may have. In my opinion, that's your loss. On a side note, bringing up the swastika is a typical liberal shock tactic. A customer defaces this man's property, and it's somehow an indication that he's a Nazi? Please spare me with your BS...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but there are too many on both sides that don't agree with that basic human right. It's come to the point that it's dangerous to have a MAGA hat on or a Trump bumper sticker on a car, due to the intolerant left.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,969 times
The restaurant has every right to show support for whatever they want. Yet in turn, customers can excercise the same right whether it be with their comments or their wallet. Unfortunately though, stereotyping is in full steam with the political divide in this country. I say give someone the benefit of the doubt, first.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:27 AM

306 posts, read 393,422 times
There are all also many screenshots of the Just Us Cafe account replying to negative reviews that include “f*** you” and other comments with similar language. I really could not care who someone supports politically when I patronize their business, but the way it has been handled in this case is the reason I’d never consider patronizing this business.

Have your opinion, but once you start going off with obscenities in a public forum to potential patrons.... respect is lost.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
While I like Just Us, it is a bit of a blue collar crowd so that type behavior is not unexpected.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
They didn't let the guy go, he still owns 51% of the business. I don't support businesses owned by hateful people.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 PM

1,124 posts, read 925,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
They didn't let the guy go, he still owns 51% of the business. I don't support businesses owned by hateful people.
Well maybe didn’t let go, but an indefinite leave of absence. The business is trying to do what’s right. Legally, it’s not like that guy can just pull out for the good of the business right away. There’s paperwork that needs to be done. Things of that matter. But punish many for one.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...222897550.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area