Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 13,024 times

Advertisements

I'm new to SC and could use some recommendations from those in the area. It seems to be so hard to find information on doctors and hospitals!

Anyway, I am looking for a doctor in the Columbia area that is committed to supporting their patients in the natural birthing process. If anyone has recommendations for a doctor, male or female, that has a bit of an earthy (for lack of a better description!) take on medicine please do share your experience. I'd be up for a midwife as well but our insurance (BCBS) would only take the midwives out at Lexington hospital, which is not a 'preferred' hospital so it would be pricier...although if I can't find anyone else I may still go that route. As is, it would be better financially to deliver at Palmetto Richland or Baptist.

Speaking of which...which hospital would be best to deliver in for a lower-intervention, more natural birthing experience? Support with breastfeeding? Time with baby/respect for our privacy? I love that Lexington has a doula program but as I said I'm debating whether it's worth the extra cost of being out of the preferred network.

If anyone has input I thank you in advance for sharing!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,845 times
I am a student midwife and doula in the area. I adore - ADORE Lexington Medical Center. I had a cesarean with my 1st child due to extreme HELLP syndrome, and a VBAC with the midwives of LMC. I can NOT say enough amazing things about them.

RE: the doula program. They typical staff 1-2 doulas per shift and they are not on call 24hrs a day. So your odds of lucking up and getting one is unfortunately really, really slim.

My choices for the birth environment you want are Lexington, Richland, Baptist, Providence NE, and then Providence Main.

ALL of the local hospitals have a higher than average cesarean section rate unfortunately, but with the right support and determination (sounds like you are determined for sure) that shouldn't be an issue! Have you considered delivering at Richland and hiring a private doula? There are several wonderful doula's in the area!

I've worked with many, many of the local OBs and I'd say somewhere around 70% were NOT natural birth supportive (gave routine pitocin for 3rd stage management, "made" women get IVs, didn't "allow" mom to eat and drink during labor, "made" mom push on her back, didn't "let" mom walk or change positions during labor, ect... HOWEVER - you have the right to do ANYTHING you feel is right during labor and can turn away ANY intervention. Nothing can be done without your consent.

Good luck!

Last edited by Global Friend; 05-25-2011 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 05-29-2011, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 13,024 times
Default Thanks!

I sure appreciate the informative response there, Amber! Thank you very much for your help.

I think my #1 choice would be a midwife at Lexington but since that doesn't seem to be as feasible I'll look into doctors at Richland...and perhaps consider hiring a doula as you suggested. I have given birth (naturally) twice already and I have learned that finding a supportive doctor that fits your personal style is very important for everyone to be able to trust each other and work together on things.

Palmetto Richland's website lists three practices for OB/Gyn services:

Three Rivers OB-Gyn Associates
Women's Physician Associates
Palmetto OB-Gyn Associates

Has anyone worked with any of these practices? Have you by chance been able to work with any of them during your work and training, Amber?

Thank you again for your response and best wishes on your training.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,280 times
The hospital I would recommend would be Providence NE, however the maternity ward is going to shut down somewhere between 6 months to a yr from now due to lack of funding. The OB practice would be Providence Womens Health and I recommend Dr. Thomas Austin--he is fantastic! I had two un-medicated births with him and he was very OK with me delivering my last one in the water at the hospital! It went very well. He is open to whatever you want to do. I also hired a doula and she was wonderful! It helped alot...

Old 09-30-2011, 06:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,671,525 times
Push....

Old 11-18-2011, 11:10 AM

64 posts, read 209,473 times
I had my daughter last year at Palmetto Richland. I see Dr. Risinger of Womens Physician Associates. That practice is amaizing! Lets put it this way....the first time I had ever been to a Gyn, or had that type of exam was when I was pregnant. I was terrified! Dr. R is amazing, gentle, caring and quick! lol As an OB patient, you have to rotate through all of the OB docs, but they are all great. I was able to request her as who I wanted to deliver me, but my daughter decided to come earlier and I had to have Dr. Goode, who was also awesome! She's more business like, which is fine, but I really love Dr. R! I can't say enough about that practice!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,104 times
I am a doula at Lexington Medical and we have over 20 doulas. We have 1st and 2nd call doulas for both AM and PM shift. The nurse staff on L&D make every attempt to call in additional doulas if all doulas during a shift have been tied up. They are also hiring MORE doulas so that all women are entitled to a doula that request it. So I would say that your chances of obtaining a doula are far greater than "slim to none" no offense...and Lexington Medical is a GREAT choice, a bit pricier, but you can definitely create your own birth experience as long as you are WELL INFORMED...know exactly what you want and how to communicate it...AND it does help to have a doula and a support system. There are tons of resources to prepare you for a natural hospital birth. JUST BE CAREFUL! You can be easily dooped with big words...possibilities...and so forth sometimes for the convienence of the staff. It doesnt always happen like that, but be aware that IT CAN happen like that. know what you want, and make it known!

Be informed.

The best to you and your new addition!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area