Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 02:15 PM

20 posts, read 59,665 times

Advertisements

Hello Eveeyone! My family and I are moving into the Columbia area in early 08.My husband is co-owners of a small computer repair store here in our home town.My husband would really like to open his own store doing the same thing once we get into an area in Columbia but I being the cautious one is a bit worried of his idea.Any thoughts good or bad on this? Does anyone have any idea how a computer repair store might do? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.Thanks =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
I would see most people taking their computers to Best Buy or Circuit City, but if you located in-town, where there are no BB's or CC's, and marketed yourselves well, you might find a niche market.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
There are many computer stores/repair shops around Columbia. I do not know how well they do or how many there are so I would be hesitant to give any advice. I can say I believe the competition would be very tough, but that is only my opinion.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:57 AM

435 posts, read 1,530,430 times
There is franchise called Computer Renaissance, which offers service, repair, warranty, etc. along with used/refurbished computer sales. They have one location in the Columbia area in Northeast Richland County along Hard Scrabble Road. I had them look at my old laptop when the hard drive crashed. They couldn't fix it, but they were very helpful & friendly, tried their best, and charged me just a reasonable $25 diagnosis fee.

The chain used to be associated with the Winmark Corp. which owns other used/refurbished product chains Play It Again Sports, Plato's Closet, Music Go Round, and Once Upon a Child. They have no other locations in the Columbia area - I don't know where a good area would be - my guess is that you'd either have to go deep into the city or far out into the suburban/exurban fringe (i.e., areas which don't compete too directly with the Best Buy/Circuit City repair facilities). So I would consider either in-town Columbia, assuming rents are manageable. Or I would try the fringes of subdivision development towards Dutch Fork/Chapin up I-26 or Lexington/Red Bank out on I-20. The Computer Renaissance in NE Richland is in a new strip center near newer, large master-planned communities, while being much closer to those communities than the Circuit City and Best Buy along the busy Two Notch Road commercial corridor.

Of course, you can try to strike out on your own without a franchise and also try other areas - but I agree that you may want to avoid being too close to a Best Buy or Circuit City.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 AM

20 posts, read 59,665 times
Thank you so much for the help and great advice.Looks like its going to be a hard decision.Im so glad i found this site and very grateful for all your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area