Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,452 times

Advertisements

I will start graduate school at USC in the fall. With my assistantship plus a graduate fellowship, I will make between 24-25K a year. I don't have to pay tuition, but I do have to pay insurance and fees (about 1,500) each year. So, can someone live reasonably in this area on that income? I don't want a roommate (I've had some bad experiences), so I need to know if I should file the FAFSA and take out some loans. I'm hoping to spend around $600 on rent, is this realistic? What are your car insurance, utilities and internet bills like? Thanks! EDIT: Also, are there areas of Columbia I should avoid moving to? I'm a female and would like to live in a safe area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
I think you could live here on that income if you don't have expensive tastes.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:42 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
KKat,
You may have to have a roommate with that little income.
Remember, it is taxable, both from South Carolina and the federal government,
Check into the tax situation.
Then the rents are reasonable, so you may be able to get a small place for what
you want to pay, but you will need a car. Car insurance you will have to call about,
gas is high, like anywhere else.
Electric is pricey in South Carolina, hot summers for air conditioning, and the winter
can get cold enough for heat from December to March.
Internet is about 50.00 a month give or take.
Food probably the same as you pay now, you will have to be frugal with food.
Yea, you can do it if you really want to, are you used to living without much now?

Old 04-26-2013, 04:50 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,878 times
Yes. Get a roommate, buy groceries, have free entertainment, no cable or Internet. Cut the things u don't need and u should be good

Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Sounds like you guys are saying I can live off of it if I get a roommate. I am very opposed to getting a roommate, so it sounds like I'll have to take out some loans. As for the car issue, my car is 11 years old, paid off, and in pretty good condition. In DC my insurance (including renters) is about $70 a month, and I figure it should be lower in SC. Thanks for the suggestions, I will not be getting a roommate, I'll take out some loans. 5K should be sufficient, right? With that I'd be looking at around 30K to live off of. Also, sonofaque, no internet isn't a possibility. As a grad student, I'll need to have access to the internet to do my research. Thanks again!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM

55 posts, read 129,857 times
It is possible to find rentals in the $600 range, but they're not fancy (maybe 400-500 sqft-ish) and a bit hard to come by. Usually it's something like a detached garage or basement conversion, one side of a small duplex, that sort of thing. I've seen them in the Rosewood and Earlewood areas and they're probably in others, but a lot of times it's a sign-in-the-yard or word of mouth sort of thing that you can't really find through searches. I've never really looked at proper apartments, so I don't know of they're available in that range or not. As a student at USC you should be able to get access to their Off Campus Housing site which has some listings directed at students, as well as a message board where you might be able to answer more questions.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
The Free Times (free-times.com) advertises apartments in the classifieds. One is for rent for $525 and I'd live there. It's downtown near the historic district and only blocks from USC. I saw some other inexpensive ones listed, but I don't know where they are. Apartments near USC always come open in the summer. I would think some of them aren't that expensive because college students are known to not have a lot of income for rent.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the link and the suggestion of picking up a copy of The Free Times! I'll check out off campus housing and free-times.com. My parents live in the Greenville area as well, and my dad does business in Columbia, so he's keeping an eye out for those sign in the yard type places. Thanks again

Old 04-27-2013, 03:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
KK

It could be doable if the $24-$25K is after all deductions/taxes whatever they might be. If before deductions, do consider a roomie.

With a car you can broaden your looking to less expensive areas. Areas closer to USC might be more convenient but they will be more expensive.

I might suggest you consider Cayce and West Columbia. Make a triangle out of USC, Charleston Highway, and Rte 378 (Sunset Blvd) out as far as I26 with it as the triangle base and USC as the peak. Overall safe areas, easy commute to USC, and all the amenities you could ask for.

I hope my Geometry is correct.......but as a grad student....if you cannot figure it out...well then that is your issue.....joke......joke.......LOL

An aside. My wife and I met while she was in grad school. Some 40 or so years later, we are still married.

Good fortune to you.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 04-27-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area