Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 04:03 PM

7 posts, read 6,469 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice on safe neighborhoods....my daughter is moving to Columbia for grad school and we are looking for an apartment in a neighborhood that is safe. She doesn't particularly want to live in an area where there are a lot of undergrads or partying. A quiet neighborhood within a 15 minute drive of campus. It's difficult to look at Craigslist postings and online reviews and maps and really figure out what's what. We are heading to town soon to look and I am trying to develop a short list....I would really appreciate any guidance anyone can offer. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 04:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM306 View Post
Looking for advice on safe neighborhoods....my daughter is moving to Columbia for grad school and we are looking for an apartment in a neighborhood that is safe. She doesn't particularly want to live in an area where there are a lot of undergrads or partying. A quiet neighborhood within a 15 minute drive of campus. It's difficult to look at Craigslist postings and online reviews and maps and really figure out what's what. We are heading to town soon to look and I am trying to develop a short list....I would really appreciate any guidance anyone can offer. Thanks!
My first question would be, "why does she want to live where she has to drive to campus"? I hear many people complain because they don't want to pay for parking or have to look for a parking place. There are thousands of rental units within walking distance of the university. I recommend she get one of them. Checkout Capital Places, Vista Lofts, Vista Commons, Senate Plaza, Claire Tower, etc.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:15 PM

Thank you for that info. She had bad experiences during her undergrad years with apartment complexes close to campus which were predominantly rented by students - parties, noise, etc. - and the rentals immediately surrounding the campus were also in high crime areas and she even had a home invasion occur. Her last year she moved off campus a 15 min drive away and was much happier. Her thought is to look for the same in Columbia. But every city is different so perhaps, hopefully, it will not be the same situation at USC. I will pass your advice along to her!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:32 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times
Quote:
Thank you for that info. She had bad experiences during her undergrad years with apartment complexes close to campus which were predominantly rented by students - parties, noise, etc. - and the rentals immediately surrounding the campus were also in high crime areas and she even had a home invasion occur. Her last year she moved off campus a 15 min drive away and was much happier. Her thought is to look for the same in Columbia. But every city is different so perhaps, hopefully, it will not be the same situation at USC. I will pass your advice along to her!
Columbia is much larger than a typical college town, so not every apartment building close to campus has a lot of students. The buildings owned by Capital Places, Vista Lofts and Vista Commons won't have a lot of students.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 AM

Vista Lofts & Vista Commons are a little out of our price range. We will look at the Capitol Places properties though, because it looks like the one bedrms can be around $800. Also checking for other rentals in the Vista area. Thanks again for the help.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:13 AM

611 posts, read 921,334 times
Capitol Places are very nice, well run, and predominantly rented by professionals (so they're quiet); and Main Street is safe and well lit. Depending on her program at USC, its a very easy walk to campus through the Statehouse grounds, which are always patrolled by security.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:02 PM

Thanks for that feedback. I just saw some articles on line about some issues with homeless on the streets of downtown. She has a little dog she will have to walk early in the morning and at night after dark so that makes downtown not seem like a good match if that's true. Is that a real issue in Columbia or just sensationalism by the press? Not to say that I think everyone who finds themselves homeless is a dangerous person, I do not think that at all, but there is potential for problems with some....

Looks like the Berry's on Main and the Kress Bldg allow small pets so those would be the two.

Also have seen on Craigslist some duplexes around Rosewood Drive and also a couple apt complexes (Hampton Courts, Hampton Greene) near the USC Med School. Any thoughts on those areas?

Old 05-09-2014, 02:07 PM

611 posts, read 921,334 times
Quote:
Thanks for that feedback. I just saw some articles on line about some issues with homeless on the streets of downtown. She has a little dog she will have to walk early in the morning and at night after dark so that makes downtown not seem like a good match if that's true. Is that a real issue in Columbia or just sensationalism by the press? Not to say that I think everyone who finds themselves homeless is a dangerous person, I do not think that at all, but there is potential for problems with some....

Looks like the Berry's on Main and the Kress Bldg allow small pets so those would be the two.

Also have seen on Craigslist some duplexes around Rosewood Drive and also a couple apt complexes (Hampton Courts, Hampton Greene) near the USC Med School. Any thoughts on those areas?

There are homeless, just like any other city. However, it isn't as if there are huge packs of homeless people roaming up and down the streets. I woudn't say you'll be stepping over them every day/every block. However, I'd be lying to say they were never around. In all my years of frequenting downtown Columbia at all sorts of odd hours, they've never given me any trouble. Main St has a group of folks "the yellow shirts" who patrol up and down at all hours, so I've never been concerned. Obviously, any downtown has good and bad areas/blocks, but I'd say that Main St. at night is perfectly fine.

Rosewood is hit or miss, there are some great areas and some where gentrification hasn't taken hold yet. Overall, I'd say it's safe, only real problems (which you'll find in almost every in-town neighborhood) are minor property crime.

Hampton Courts/Greene are decent. Older complexes but quiet and well maintained. Location is good, lots of Med students because its just around the corner from the Med School/VA. My brother in law lives in one (I think Hampton Greene) and seems to like it a lot. He tells me that there are tons of dogs, and all the dog owners get together for big play dates.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:40 PM

Thanks so much for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area