Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 11:15 AM

28 posts, read 40,378 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will soon be starting Edward Jones training program in September to become a financial advisor. After the program is complete (about 7 months), i get to choose an area to open an office. I'm originally from PA, but don't really care to stay here and I am sick of the dreary weather. I have always wanted to move south and my parents recently got a place in FL (where my gma also lives) so it would be great to follow them down south! I've narrowed my choices down to basically FL, SC, and NC but with FL and SC being the front runners. I've heard great things about SC and my friend just recently moved to Greenville and loves it there.

Even though I have never visited Columbia (traveled around it) I would love to hear more about it! I like how it is centrally located & seems to have a laid back personality to it. I am a very laid back and easy going individual, so that would fit me pretty well. Even though I really like FL, I want to keep my options open. I've read good things about the burbs (Blythewood, Lexington, Lake Murray, etc.)

Some background facts: just graduated college. I am engaged, and we plan to start a family relatively soon (< 5 years) so a nice family oriented area would be preferred. We like to go out every now and then, but we aren't huge nightlife people. We are looking to rent before we eventually save up money to buy a house.

I guess I'm just asking directly for advice about the Columbia area and the surrounding areas since I have never been there. I plan to visit the area before I would decide to possibly open my office in the area. Is it a growing area? Is it laid back like people have been saying? Being an advisor, I will need to gain clients. Are people generally friendly and accepting there? We are pretty open to any area, so we would love to hear back about any advice/info! If anybody knows of an area around Columbia that needs a financial advisor, that would be a plus too Look forward to hearing back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 04:42 PM

Anyone? Lol

Old 06-11-2014, 05:06 PM

55 posts, read 68,917 times
Check out how many offices are in the Columbia area before you make any decisions. Unfortunately I am too new to give you real info on areas. Good Luck!

Old 06-11-2014, 08:49 PM

Thanks! There are about 3 in the Columbia area. 3 around Irmo, 1 up by Blythewood. At least when I recently checked. EJ likes to open a ton of offices though. I am sure when you give them areas of interest you want to open an office, they have places in mind that need more office locations.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Based on your description, I would recommend Lexington, Forest Acres, or Richland Northeast. Downtown Columbia can be as family friendly as you want it, too, so don't discount that area of town either.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:09 AM

730 posts, read 1,401,282 times
Lexington stinks. Stick with Irmo, Ballentine, Chapin, or Blythewood.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:06 PM

Thanks guys! Does anybody know anything about the Winnsboro area? Closest office seems to be in Blythewood and no office seems to be located there. Seems like a small town and can't find much on it. Was just curious.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Winnsboro is a small town with redeeming qualities, but you'd have to really want to live in a small town to enjoy living there, IMO. It faces challenging issues that are associated with many towns in rural South Carolina.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Based on your description, I would recommend Lexington, Forest Acres, or Richland Northeast. Downtown Columbia can be as family friendly as you want it, too, so don't discount that area of town either.
Richland Northeast seems to only have one office nearby the area (assuming you mean by Dentsville/Arcadia Lakes where Richland Northeast HS is) so that could be a good area. Especially if population of 14,000ish for Dentsville is correct.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Winnsboro is a small town with redeeming qualities, but you'd have to really want to live in a small town to enjoy living there, IMO. It faces challenging issues that are associated with many towns in rural South Carolina.
Thanks for the input. I would probably live elsewhere but was curious since there wasn't an office in the area. It does seem very rural which could be a good or bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area