Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:29 PM

20 posts, read 115,386 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone compare the both. I know they are different, maybe someone can give me some pointers. I am currently living in Portland, Oregon. The wheather gets tiresome after 10 months of constant overcast, and rain. Economy here is rough, housing prices are a little outrageous. I am originally from the Bay Area, CA. Prices are to ridiculous to ever go back!!! Soooooo I am looking for a new home.

I have spent days investigating, reading threads. Something about South Carolina appeals to me as well as Houston. I need a bigger city, Affordable housing, and just an awesome place to be my forever home. Hopefully after selling my home, here in Portland I will walk away with $85,000. I want to pay cash for a decent size home, in a decent neighborhood, with good schools, I am a single mother, so safer, would like a place where kids can play outside. I still want a hip happening city.

I am caucasion, however would like kids growing up with an apprieciation of other cultures. I have seen pictures of Greenville positively beautiful!!! However being closer to beach is more appealing to me. Sounds like South Carolina is to good to be true. Houston looks pretty good to me as well. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Wow, Columbia and Houston are not too similar. Columbia's metro population and Houston's is over 5 million. You can get a small home in Columbia for $85,000, but your choices for a decent sized home in a decent neighborhood with good schools will be limited at that purchase price. You could probably find some condo's or townhouses for that. If you'd like to take a look around Columbia I have lots of photos on my website. There is plenty to do here and it is less than 2 hours to the beach, but there wouldn't be as much to do as in Houston.

http://www.freewebs.com/waccamatt (broken link)

Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 PM

I have looked at your beautiful photos. I will just have to take a vacation and check them both out. Any other states, and cities you would recomend that would fit my criteria?

Old 05-07-2008, 02:17 PM

31 posts, read 130,665 times
I live in Houston and am relocating to Columbia as soon as my house sells. I can assure you, you will not find a decent home in town for $85K. You'd have to live in the suburbs and they wouldn't be neighborhoods you'd want to raise kids in.

Pros about Houston: diverse, big, world class attractions, etc.

Cons about Houston: If you want to take advantage of anything, expect to sit in traffic for hours. It is not uncommon for people here to commute an hour and a half one way to get to work. To go from the suburbs to anything in town, it takes 2 hours at peak times. Everything is at least a half an hour drive due to traffic. I really look forward to getting away from the congestion here.

I haven't personally been to Columbia yet but my husband has been there for 3 weeks and he loves it. He is so sure I'll love it too. I've been in Houston for 8 years and am ready for something smaller and more easy going.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:04 PM

I will definately have to visit both. Would you let me know how you end up liking Colombia? Coming from Houston and all. Thanks for the advice. Any particular time that I should visit? I kind want to know good and bad time to visit so I can get an accurate perspective.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanea View Post
I will definately have to visit both. Would you let me know how you end up liking Colombia? Coming from Houston and all. Thanks for the advice. Any particular time that I should visit? I kind want to know good and bad time to visit so I can get an accurate perspective.
Spring and Fall are the most beautiful times of year here and the weather is great during both seasons.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:01 PM

31 posts, read 130,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanea View Post
Houston doesn't have any really defined seasons. The leaves on the trees don't turn colors or anything like that. Most of the year it is very warm - even during the winter - and the summers are quite hot and humid. I've always lived along the Gulf Coast though, so I've never really seen a true year with actual seasons. I'm excited that I'll get to do that in Columbia.

The best times to visit Houston would be when the weather is milder. I would suggest November for the fall months and March for the Spring. Spring is actually much prettier here with all of the azaleas in bloom - there's actually a big event touring the azaleas in Houston each spring. I would avoid anything in the June to early November range due to extreme heat and the possibility of hurricanes. Houston is far enough inland that the water and flooding are not an issue for most people in the outlying areas of the city but we do get a lot of wind when a hurricane hits in the Galveston area.

Oh, also, in the February/March window, there is the Houston Rodeo which is a very big deal throughout the state. There are traditional rodeo events as well as big name concerts in the Reliant Stadium. Everyone I know really looks forward to attending the carnivals, shows, and tournaments.

I know that is a long way off though. If you're thinking of visiting sooner, post again with a date range and I can come up with some things that are going on around the city during that time.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:24 PM

Wow, I never knew the deciduous trees never changed colors in Houston. November is usually the height of color here in Columbia although a lot depends on what neighborhood you live in. I grew up in Forest Acres and we had almost entirely Pine Trees so there wasn't much color, but I live just north of downtown now and there are almost no Pine Trees in this part of town - all deciduous - Sweetgums, Oak, Elm, etc. and the color is gorgeous during the Fall.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:48 AM

37 posts, read 181,708 times
You might also want to check out San Antonio.

In downtown Columbia you could find something in Earlewood or Eau Claire in that price range - a pre-war bungalow full of character that needs basic renovation (i.e. still no central A/C, original kitchen and can't fit a modern fridge, etc.) - I know lots of people who live in that area. But it's not kid-friendly, and the school's are really bad.

You might be able to find something you're looking for in Rosewood - parts are kid-friendly and some of the schools zoned are decent. But, it would be a major fixer-upper.

Those are places near the city. You can find something in the suburbs, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for. Columbia is definitely smaller than Portland. Some areas are positively backwards, and some are a bit hipper. What area of Portland do you live in now? Give us an idea - zip code or distance from city limits... Just to see what you're looking for.

I love Portland myself - I guess I couldn't fathom someone leaving! lol. But I know the grass always looks greener...

Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 AM

I live in South East Portland. It is very centralized, but a high crime area. They city is basically trying to do a renewal project over here. I live in a home that is 900+ square feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area