Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 06:44 PM

36 posts, read 40,916 times

Advertisements

This is what I want for Christmas! Seriously, I've heard nothing about this in months. Has anyone seen the plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 07:30 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola Knows Best View Post
This is what I want for Christmas! Seriously, I've heard nothing about this in months. Has anyone seen the plans?
I haven't heard of anything being released yet.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:52 AM

It is supposed to be the tallest or as tall, as any building in SC. I hope it hasn't been scrapped.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:21 PM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Photo please....

Old 12-09-2015, 07:44 PM

There are no photos. This was a project announced in the State many months ago, as the first of several apartment/condo towers built on city parking garages. I am so tired of waiting on details..Columbia Commons, this..I really need to learn more patience, or move somewhere where sh-t gets done.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:56 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
There are no photos. This was a project announced in the State many months ago, as the first of several apartment/condo towers built on city parking garages. I am so tired of waiting on details..Columbia Commons, this..I really need to learn more patience, or move somewhere where sh-t gets done.
Even in NYC it takes forever for projects to come to fruition, there are just lots of existing ones to keep you occupied in the meantime. For example, the residential tower at 432 Park Avenue was proposed in 2010 and it still is under construction. The only place where things get done quickly are in areas with weak or no zoning. No thank you. That's how you get mobile homes erected next to mansions.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:06 PM

I hear what you're saying but I've lived here 44 years..my entire life. I appreciate zoning..who wants to be a Myrtle Beach? However, I feel Columbia isn't a true business city. It's foundation is government, which is great. However, our power structure are primarily motivated by greed..how much money they will make from an approved project. So, while some projects are rightly dismissed on lack of architectural integrity, lack of parking, etc, some are held up by endless layers of red tape. Who knows why this project has gone off the grid? I'm sure the flooding didn't help, but I can't imagine that would derail an otherwise strengthening local economy.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:44 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,420 times
This project hasn't gone off the grid. It is still underway. I have heard the first tower will likely be shorter than we'd like (12-16 stories), but is moving along nevertheless.

It wasn't even announced until a few months ago, so seeing movement in the next six months would be pretty impressive. I think Bull Street has us all a little impatient with everything. I'm still itching to hear more about the former Moe Levy's and fire station.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:27 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,969 times
Quote:
I use to get the same way, but that was back when Columbia was progressing so much slower than it is now. Now that we seemingly have announcements weekly, anything from new dining options to large scale things like student housing, I'm fine with waiting because I know that most projects will stick if a few don't. I get to the point that I totally forget about a project and then a year or so later, it's finished! So I get a lot of pleasant surprises along the way which helps bide time for the big stuff. But, Columbia Commons is on a whole different level of needed patience Lol

Old 12-22-2015, 10:18 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,438 times
Looks like the Lady Street Parking Garage was talked about at meetings with the council on the 15th of this month. Good signs that this project is alive and well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area