Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2017, 08:17 PM

37 posts, read 38,898 times

Advertisements

Hi all! The University of South Carolina is one college I am considering that I was accepted to. Other schools I was accepted to were the University of Alabama, University of Georgia, and Ohio State. When I visited, I fell in love with Columbia and the Five Points area. I fell in love with the other places also. I qualify, and I hope to get one of the top scholarships here.

1. What do you love about USC?
2. How is Columbia as a college town? Love it? Hate it? Personally, I loved it.
3. How is life at USC? Is the campus food good?
4. Did anyone attend USC? How was your experience?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 09:28 PM

753 posts, read 566,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ View Post
Hi all! The University of South Carolina is one college I am considering that I was accepted to. Other schools I was accepted to were the University of Alabama, University of Georgia, and Ohio State. When I visited, I fell in love with Columbia and the Five Points area. I fell in love with the other places also. I qualify, and I hope to get one of the top scholarships here.

Thanks!
Hey, Adam!

Congratulations on your acceptances! Those are all great universities. My brother goes to Alabama, so I can speak to that offline if you are interested. As to your questions:

1. USC has a great overall sense of balance. The area is urban, but feels like it was dropped into the grid as a fully realized campus. The school is large in terms of population, but small enough to where you'll run into friends all of the time on the way to class. The Honors College (which it sounds like you will qualify for) gives students a really personalized experience and opportunities that are not afforded to most college students (i.e. research funding, grants and fellowships, very small class sizes). As with some of the other schools, you will get the quintessential college experience: great academics, a century of athletics tradition (with several teams in the Top 25), a friendly and open student body, and a town built with students in mind.

2. I think most people on this thread are probably biased, but Columbia is an awesome town. As I'm sure you discovered, USC is right in the middle of tons of shops, restaurants, and bars with 5 Points to the east, Main Street to the north, and the Vista to the west. The city has really jumped out the of recession with a ton of momentum- lots of new apartments, things opening constantly, and a ton of plans for new developments (just check any of the other threads). The natural environment is also very cool- Susquehanna Park, the three rivers, and Lake Murray all provide plenty of weekend options. The city is also well-located between Charlotte, Charleston, and Atlanta. It's hard to be every be bored.

3. USC is big enough to offer plenty to do on campus at all times. Your experience will depend largely on how you choose to get involved and how open you are to making new friends, but all of the tools are there. The freshman class is now consistently around 50% out-of-state students, so you're going to meet people from across the country (and the world). I personally thought the food options were diverse and they've expanded since I graduated. They recently announced that there are going to be dedicated gluten-free options, which to me means that they are listening to students' preferences and dietary needs. If you do choose to go to USC, you have to indulge in the time-honored tradition of Chicken Finger Wednesdays.

4. I graduated a few years ago from the Honors College with a triple major in International Business, Accounting, and Finance. When I compare my experience at USC to those my friends had at other schools, I don't think I could have spent four years at a better institution. I was out-of-state and USC wasn't even on my radar initially, but when I stepped foot on The Horseshoe, I instantly felt at home.

I would be more than happy to answer any other questions you might have about USC or Columbia!

Old 02-12-2017, 10:38 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ View Post

Thanks!
1) I graduated from USC so it is in my blood. I love the fact it's in the middle of the city and within walking distance of Five Points, the Vista and Main Street.

2) Columbia is more than just a college town so there are many things to do that are unrelated to the University. There are also 7 other colleges and universities in Columbia and about 65,000 college students total.

3) There is a variety of dining options on campus, but many more options off campus and many area restaurants accept the Carolina Card.

4) See above.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:52 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
I'll second everyone above. My daughter and son-in-law both went there and loved it. They were both in the business school and were well-prepared. Both had great opportunities upon graduation. Daughter graduated in '11 when things were still kinda down and had a very well-paying position lined up right after graduation and are both making really outstanding money especially for their ages. They both had excellent scholarships but not Honors.

They were both involved in Greek Life which helps make the campus feel smaller as would the Honors Program.

Columbia is big enough to have everything you need without all the problems of a big city. We love Columbia! And the weather at any SEC school sure beats Ohio State!

Go Gamecocks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area