Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,064 times

Advertisements

I live in Laguna Vista, a small neighborhood in Irmo (9 homes), off of Salem Church road. Batesburg native and on again/off again NFL Player, Dontrelle Inman is attempting to rezone his home and operate it as wedding and event venue. In fact, he is moving forward with marketing/advertising and events, even without approval. His home is literally less then 100 feet from his nearest neighbors. He is advertising to have capacity for 700+ people at Lake Murray Manor.

Please show your opposition to these actions by signing our petition at change.org https://www.change.org/p/richland-co...l-neighborhood

This is important as a rezoning of this nature would set a precedent for others that commercial activity in a residential neighborhood is acceptable.

Learn more at: www.stopthemanor.com

And if you need a lighthearted look at the situation, check out the instagram for the cause. https://www.instagram.com/stoplakemurraymanor/

Last edited by Yac; 02-26-2020 at 01:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 02:56 PM

1,124 posts, read 932,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunavista View Post
I live in Laguna Vista, a small neighborhood in Irmo (9 homes), off of Salem Church road. Batesburg native and on again/off again NFL Player, Dontrelle Inman is attempting to rezone his home and operate it as wedding and event venue. In fact, he is moving forward with marketing/advertising and events, even without approval. His home is literally less then 100 feet from his nearest neighbors. He is advertising to have capacity for 700+ people at Lake Murray Manor.

Please show your opposition to these actions by signing our petition at change.org https://www.change.org/p/richland-co...l-neighborhood

This is important as a rezoning of this nature would set a precedent for others that commercial activity in a residential neighborhood is acceptable.

Learn more at: www.stopthemanor.com

And if you need a lighthearted look at the situation, check out the instagram for the cause. https://www.instagram.com/stoplakemurraymanor/
I actually support it. I hate NIMBYism. It’s a need that the community wants satisfied. If not there, then tell me where? Almost the entire lake is zoned residential. And because of people that are worried about roads and traffic that come with a growing metro, we don’t have another beach out there. I hate how crowded the one in Lexington is. I’m sure he can figure parking out. If he wanted to he could buy a small lot of land and clear it and a bus and use that for the event venue. If I can afford that venue, I can afford the shuttle. It doesn’t set a precedent for anything. And the traditional city has all those things in a neighborhood. Look at friarsgate! A whole elementary school, shopping complex, post office and more in one neighborhood. I don’t really even wanna hear it. I get maybe have time restrictions, like no loud noises past 10? But to completely shut someone out simply because you don’t like it? Look at the need for the community. As Columbia grows that area won’t stay so small forever.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,064 times
Brandon, have you actually looked at where his property is and what they are trying to do? There is actually space on the lake zoned just for this. Adjacent to Liberty is a large parcel zoned commercial, that is vacant and for sale. This isn't about a reasonable rezoning request. This would be no different then if someone in the middle of Friarsgate started running a restaurant or bar out of their home.

Not sure about the reference to the beach, but this is for an paid commercial event space not a public area or anything like that. Unrelated to this situation but on the topic of a beach, I think we all agree Dominion could do us a favor and open Pine Island to the public, that would help a lot.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:17 PM

8,265 posts, read 13,417,186 times
Interesting situation.. I can understand the neighbors concerns.. I am not familiar with the zoning laws in this area but I cant imagine that he cant rezone it to a straight commercial use unless there is commercial zoning already in the area and adjacent to this lot.. To just rezone this one parcel in the middle of a residential area could be considered "spot zoning" which is illegal in most states unless the property is of a certain acreage i.e. large tract of land.. Even then there would be buffering and set back requirements from the residential areas...

That said, is he actually pursuing a rezoning or more of a "use permit" by which the government with input from the community allows the use with certain types of restrictions (i.e. hours of operation, size of event, noise limits, no outdoor sound, boats anchored.. etc etc) Even with this the underlying zoning would have to allow the use permit option.. The other is a Planned Unit Development which is similar to a use permit but mostly guides new development in terms of form and setback that may be unique only to this property but also designed to mitigate the impact on surrounding properties.

I am surprised he is already advertising it as such.. If it gets shot down by the County.. whats to stop him from renting it as an Air BnB or Bed and Breakfast where the renters can have a party if they choose? Other than noise complaint I don't think there would be anything the community could do to stop it if he kept all the cars on the property... Just a thought....So to Brandons point.. it may be a good idea to try to work with him if he is willing to make concessions otherwise I am sure he can lawyer up and skirt the rules out of spite especially on the Air BnB front where there may not be as tight regulations...from the County.. just a thought....

Old 02-25-2020, 04:25 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,498,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I actually support it. I hate NIMBYism. It’s a need that the community wants satisfied. If not there, then tell me where? Almost the entire lake is zoned residential. And because of people that are worried about roads and traffic that come with a growing metro, we don’t have another beach out there. I hate how crowded the one in Lexington is. I’m sure he can figure parking out. If he wanted to he could buy a small lot of land and clear it and a bus and use that for the event venue. If I can afford that venue, I can afford the shuttle. It doesn’t set a precedent for anything. And the traditional city has all those things in a neighborhood. Look at friarsgate! A whole elementary school, shopping complex, post office and more in one neighborhood. I don’t really even wanna hear it. I get maybe have time restrictions, like no loud noises past 10? But to completely shut someone out simply because you don’t like it? Look at the need for the community. As Columbia grows that area won’t stay so small forever.
How would you like a mega events center like that next door? The OP indicated it was zoned residential. Commercial events do not belong in a residential area. There is a parcel zoned commercial that is available.

Some friends of mine live in a rural area zoned 1 dwelling unit per 5 acres. Home businesses are an allowable conditional use but need to be approved by the Planning Department. They wanted to do the same thing as the basketball star on their 20 acres. There would have been fewer attendees, no lights that could be seen and the events couldn’t be seen. They were allowed to have these functions 4 times per year and adhere to 10pm closing time. This is far different than 100’ away to your nearest neighbor.

Your post reeks of “I wants”. And, I dislike YIMBYism.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:59 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,590,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I hate nimbyism, also, but zoning is still important. I have more issues with people who fight affordable housing developments/shelters, etc. in their neighborhood than this.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
How would you like a mega events center like that next door? The OP indicated it was zoned residential. Commercial events do not belong in a residential area. There is a parcel zoned commercial that is available.

Some friends of mine live in a rural area zoned 1 dwelling unit per 5 acres. Home businesses are an allowable conditional use but need to be approved by the Planning Department. They wanted to do the same thing as the basketball star on their 20 acres. There would have been fewer attendees, no lights that could be seen and the events couldn’t be seen. They were allowed to have these functions 4 times per year and adhere to 10pm closing time. This is far different than 100’ away to your nearest neighbor.
Your post reeks of “I wants”. And, I dislike YIMBYism.
I have a whole 1500 person college and a 1500 person high school literally on each side of my home.... so I don’t see your point in the whole “that’s a lot of people next to my house.” But I did say that I could see rules being in place, such as no loud noises and all past a certain time. And my list is far from an I want, I’ve got not stake in that. I wouldn’t need to use it. My mother lives on the lake in Irmo. I could literally do an event in her backyard.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunavista View Post
Brandon, have you actually looked at where his property is and what they are trying to do? There is actually space on the lake zoned just for this. Adjacent to Liberty is a large parcel zoned commercial, that is vacant and for sale. This isn't about a reasonable rezoning request. This would be no different then if someone in the middle of Friarsgate started running a restaurant or bar out of their home.

Not sure about the reference to the beach, but this is for an paid commercial event space not a public area or anything like that. Unrelated to this situation but on the topic of a beach, I think we all agree Dominion could do us a favor and open Pine Island to the public, that would help a lot.
I actually drove by about two weeks ago because I find the lake houses extremely pretty. And that’s not to say I’m not sympathetic. I just don’t think, other than the roads and parking issue, that it’s much of an issue. Growth happens is what I’m getting at, it’s about concessions. Like him having to shut it down at a certain time. Maybe it can be for weddings, but receptions of a loud nature aren’t allowed. Those kinda things. But I hate outright denials.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:53 PM

1,155 posts, read 964,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I hate nimbyism, also, but zoning is still important. I have more issues with people who fight affordable housing developments/shelters, etc. in their neighborhood than this.
Agreed

Old 02-26-2020, 10:42 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,498,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Would you enjoy a homeless shelter next door? Section 8? 5 story affordable housing building blocking the sun and invading your privacy? Yeah, I thought so. Put them near services like urban zoning, not single family home zoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area