Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:59 PM

287 posts, read 1,460,809 times

Advertisements

I have looked and there is 34 registered sex offenders in one Lexington zip code and like 75 in another! This seems very high as I have two girls 7&8 and relocating to this area, also Lexington One has the better schools, is this a concern to the people in the area or is it something you just get over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 09:27 PM

83 posts, read 395,308 times
I think it's something you get over. I'll make a couple of points for you to consider or discard.

1. Have you checked for registered sex offenders in your present area? I suspect you've lived near some (and probably others who've not been caught).

2. 34 or 75 out of how many people? You're looking at some fraction of a percent of the population.

I don't mean to belittle the concerns you share along with many others. But I do wonder whether our fears are eased or encouraged by posting mugshots on the Internet. I also wonder whether our kids are safer as a result.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:10 AM

287 posts, read 1,460,809 times
Actually there are O in my current zip code in NY. I know its something you have to deal with in the south but I just was concerned but like you say, I guess you get used to it.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:37 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,536,125 times
I think it goes by how well each individual state is reporting their sex offenders, i.e.

New York City, 8 million people, 413 registered sex offenders.

Houston, Texas, 2 million people, 3,558 registered sex offenders.

SC is very into reporting sex offenders, some states aren't.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:58 AM

12 posts, read 52,689 times
We moved here from NY as well (and also had 0 offenders in our area). This was a major concern for us as well. We also have two small children. Lexington has one of the lower offender rates in the Columbia area. We were able to find an area in Lexington that does not have offenders nearby. (that's not to say that someone can't move in next door tomorrow). Also, another thing to consider is the offense. You can see exactly what the offense was on many websites. Not that I am justifying any offense, but acts againt a child are much more of a concern than a teenager who was with his underage girlfriend and got in trouble for it.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:19 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,536,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsm View Post
We moved here from NY as well (and also had 0 offenders in our area). This was a major concern for us as well. We also have two small children. Lexington has one of the lower offender rates in the Columbia area. We were able to find an area in Lexington that does not have offenders nearby. (that's not to say that someone can't move in next door tomorrow). Also, another thing to consider is the offense. You can see exactly what the offense was on many websites. Not that I am justifying any offense, but acts againt a child are much more of a concern than a teenager who was with his underage girlfriend and got in trouble for it.
Two New Yorkers now with zero offenders in their area. Um, have you considered that no one is listing them, and that is why it says 0. I find it hard to believe that any zip code area in New York state, or any state for that matter, has not one sex offender. I mean, think about it.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:42 PM

356 posts, read 1,269,675 times
It is funny that I read this today. We are almost all set to buy a house in Summerville and today I found a registered kidnapper and a rapist right down the way. We are not thinking that this might not be the best choice of are for us.

We have a few in our area, but if my area had 0 I don’t know what I would do. It is definitely something to consider when making your choice

Why would some states not list them. Don’t they have to. I know that Vermont for example has very little offenders listed but they are really lenient on their offenders. So that may have something to do with it.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:47 PM

12 posts, read 52,689 times
Isn't it a federal regulation that sex offenders be reported? I'm not sure but that's how I thought it worked. We had an offender move in the area and were notified and then move out of the area and were notified again (both by the school district). Also, the town web site kept on top of offenders in and around the area. How sad if what you say is true- not a single zip code in the US without a sex offender. Think about that.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:35 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,304,205 times
We did an offender check before moving to Fort Mill and found that there were quite a few, but at the time we looked (over a year ago) a good many had moved out of the area, were re-incarcerated, or had statutory rape offenses (meaning, it was an over-21 boyfriend of a young girl who was charged). Very few that were still in the town *when I checked* were what I consider to be true OFFENDERS (meaning pedophiles or those who preyed on the very young (read: under 10).

However, I came from a town in NoNJ that had HUNDREDS of offenders within 5 miles of my house so I feel my kids are quite safe in our new little part of the world.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 28,003 times
Blue states are EXTREMELY lenient with reporting and updating databases. Keep that in mind. I know SC updates much more often that my old neighborhood in Metro Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area