Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 12,371 times

Advertisements

So we're contemplating a job offer in Columbus. Spent my entire life in the Washington D.C./Northern VA area, so I'm expecting a bit of a culture/lifestyle change (?). In any case, hoping to get some info from those that are more knowledgable. We're a small family so good schools is probably the top priority.... is the northern part of the city where one want's to be (Green Island, MidLand etc.)? What other areas should be looked at? Looking at homes between 5-700K

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 AM

78 posts, read 132,781 times
Welcome. We lived in the NOVA/DC area for awhile before moving here. There will be some degree of culture shock, but probably not as bad as some would have you believe. I think the biggest difference is not having access to the big city amenities and all of the things there are to do in and around DC. That being said, you will probably enjoy the slower pace, friendlier people, and overall lack of traffic.

We have your basic shopping and just about every low and mid-level retail/restaurant you can name, but for higher end shopping or dining, you are still going to want to go to Birmingham (3 or so hours) or Atlanta (1h and 20 min). There is a lot of development going on and an urban whitewater course is being built in the downtown (called Uptown for some reason) area. There is a lot of expectation that this project will draw tourism and $$ to the area and could transform the downtown. Time will tell. There are also two big projects being discussed in Phenix City, AL (just across the river) including a retail/living/shopping/marina area on the river and a large entertainment complex (rumored to be $200 million) also on the river. Again, how much of this will come to fruition and when is still up in the air. Currently, a "town center" concept livng and retail area is just being started on the north side of town. If it turns out as planned, could be really nice and as reminiscent of DC suburbs as you're going to get around here (it's being called Old Town).

Our kids aren't quite old enough for school yet, but there are some options. Columbus High is a magnet school and has a good reputation. If schooling is important to you and you have the $, Brookstone is a top notch private college prep school with a campus on the north side of town near Green Island. Harris County (Midland and north of the city) has a reputation for good public schools.

In your price range, there are several neighborhoods you might want to look into. Green Island is older and more established with an associated golf course/country club. We really liked the Hilton Heights area which is closer to the middle of the city. There is a great park nearby and this is a nice, historic neighborhood with beautiful trees. Unfortunately, many of the homes are dated and need a lot of renovation work on the inside. Harris county property taxes are cheaper and there is more space out there although your options in that price range may be limited. There are several smaller neighborhoods dotted around the city that you might want to look into as well (Stonewood Farms, Maple Ridge, Rivercrest just to name a few).

Like I said, we were relative outsiders here and have found it to be a good place to raise a family with lots of outdoor stuff to do and some interesting potential for growth and moving to the "next level." There will be some stuff you miss and will have to travel to get, but access to ATL is very easy. We're hopeful some of the things that are being discussed actually happen and make Columbus an up and coming small southern city.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 12,371 times
Thanks goofball!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGoofBall View Post
Welcome. We lived in the NOVA/DC area for awhile before moving here. There will be some degree of culture shock, but probably not as bad as some would have you believe. I think the biggest difference is not having access to the big city amenities and all of the things there are to do in and around DC. That being said, you will probably enjoy the slower pace, friendlier people, and overall lack of traffic.
At the risk of asking a foolish question - How is the diversity compared to the DC area? i.e how easy will it be to satisfy a craving for sushi? Can I grab a gyro that is actually carved from a vertical spit and drenched with home made tzatziki? If I asked for the nearest churrascaria, am I going to get a lot of blank stares?

Quote:
We have your basic shopping and just about every low and mid-level retail/restaurant you can name, but for higher end shopping or dining, you are still going to want to go to Birmingham (3 or so hours) or Atlanta (1h and 20 min). There is a lot of development going on and an urban whitewater course is being built in the downtown (called Uptown for some reason) area. There is a lot of expectation that this project will draw tourism and $$ to the area and could transform the downtown. Time will tell. There are also two big projects being discussed in Phenix City, AL (just across the river) including a retail/living/shopping/marina area on the river and a large entertainment complex (rumored to be $200 million) also on the river. Again, how much of this will come to fruition and when is still up in the air. Currently, a "town center" concept livng and retail area is just being started on the north side of town. If it turns out as planned, could be really nice and as reminiscent of DC suburbs as you're going to get around here (it's being called Old Town).
Sounds like its starting to be built up? Not to start a turf war or anything - but is living across the river in Alabama and working in Columbus something as common as living in MD and working in VA (or vice versa). And are there areas across the river that may also be an option?
Also - with regards to houses on or near the river...again, going to show my ignorance, but is the river a good recreation area? Or is it like the Potomac in DC and the Hudson/East river in NYC - adds to the scenery, but you don't dare touch the water.

Quote:
Our kids aren't quite old enough for school yet, but there are some options. Columbus High is a magnet school and has a good reputation. If schooling is important to you and you have the $, Brookstone is a top notch private college prep school with a campus on the north side of town near Green Island. Harris County (Midland and north of the city) has a reputation for good public schools.

In your price range, there are several neighborhoods you might want to look into. Green Island is older and more established with an associated golf course/country club. We really liked the Hilton Heights area which is closer to the middle of the city. There is a great park nearby and this is a nice, historic neighborhood with beautiful trees. Unfortunately, many of the homes are dated and need a lot of renovation work on the inside. Harris county property taxes are cheaper and there is more space out there although your options in that price range may be limited. There are several smaller neighborhoods dotted around the city that you might want to look into as well (Stonewood Farms, Maple Ridge, Rivercrest just to name a few).
Given the reputation of MD/VA schools, I know that's one area we're going to be giving up on some (but the housing cost in Columbus certainly makes life a lot easier compared to DC). We'll definitely look to Harris county as well as the other areas mentioned. Not sure the prep school fits into our plans, but certainly good to know the option is there.

Quote:
Like I said, we were relative outsiders here and have found it to be a good place to raise a family with lots of outdoor stuff to do and some interesting potential for growth and moving to the "next level." There will be some stuff you miss and will have to travel to get, but access to ATL is very easy. We're hopeful some of the things that are being discussed actually happen and make Columbus an up and coming small southern city.

Hope this helps.
Great to know. Again, really appreciate the info!

Last edited by churchill89; 11-14-2012 at 06:21 AM..

Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM

78 posts, read 132,781 times
Food diversity is somewhat lacking. There are several sushi places (or places that serve sushi) but I haven't tried any of them. When I want my fix, I get it from Fresh Market (Whole Foods lite) and it's generally pretty good. We have a couple of average Thai places, an Indian place that looks sketchy but is actually quite good. There is a Vietnamese restaurant with two locations, they do pretty good pho. We have your standard mix of Chinese places, some better than others. It's odd, because people in Columbus like to eat out, but I think they are a little less adventurous and more comfortable with chain places. We have all the usual chains but lack some of the nicer ones (PF Chang, Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris, etc). We did get a Bonefish Grill last year and it has done well. There are some good independent places if you look hard enough. They tend to be more on the "hole-in-the-wall" end of the spectrum (Hunter's Pub - great steaks, Black Cow - traditional Southern, etc.). A truly upscale restaurant (Epic) opened in the summer. We've been twice and have enjoyed it both times. So, in short, we could really use some more diverse, independently owned restaurants.

Some people do live in Phenix City (Ala property tax is much less) and commute. However, housing options are more limited and all of the "stuff" is in Columbus for now. There are houses on the river in both places and there are several lakes (big and small) dotted around the area so finding a house on water is certainly doable. Lake Harding is the big lake (about 20-25 min outside of town) and some people have lake cabins they use for recreation on the weekends (boating, jet skis, skiing, etc). The river that runs through downtown is where the whitewater is being built. Water recreation is fairly popular down here. The city has done a nice job creating a "riverwalk" which runs on either side of the river for many miles and can be walked or biked. There is also a "Rails to Trails" bike trail that encircles the city.

I believe Columbus public schools are a mixed bag. Like I said, Harris county schools are supposed to be very good.

Sounds like you and your family are very similar to us. We would love to have more DC area transplants down here to help push Columbus forward! If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck

Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,847,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
SAY WHAT?! There are no "plantations" anywhere NEAR Atlanta. In fact, the only "plantations" I know of in Georgia that still exist as tourist attractions are way down in the SW corner of the state around Thomasville.

By the way, you failed to mention Callaway Gardens and Pine Mountain which are true resort / recreation areas within the Columbus Metro. Columbus also has outstanding sports facilities (built for the 1996 Summer Olympics), a fantastic art museum, the National Civil War Naval Museum, the National Infantry Museum and most importantly, the River Center for the Performing Arts. Columbus State University's downtown fine arts campus (which adjoins the River Center) has transformed the Broadway and Uptown areas. Lots of neat stores, restaurants and clubs in downtown Columbus these days.

If the OP is moving to Columbus for military reasons, I'm sure they'll quickly find themselves plugged into the community. If not, the corporate business community in Columbus is perhaps the strongest in the state outside Atłanta and is anchored by Aflac, Synous, Carmike Cinemas, WC Bradley Co., etc.
Quote:
By the way, you failed to mention Callaway Gardens and Pine Mountain which are true resort / recreation areas within the Columbus Metro. Columbus also has outstanding sports facilities (built for the 1996 Summer Olympics), a fantastic art museum, the National Civil War Naval Museum, the National Infantry Museum and most importantly, the River Center for the Performing Arts. Columbus State University's downtown fine arts campus (which adjoins the River Center) has transformed the Broadway and Uptown areas. Lots of neat stores, restaurants and clubs in downtown Columbus these days.

If the OP is moving to Columbus for military reasons, I'm sure they'll quickly find themselves plugged into the community. If not, the corporate business community in Columbus is perhaps the strongest in the state outside Atłanta and is anchored by Aflac, Synous, Carmike Cinemas, WC Bradley Co., etc.
Agreed.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
, but is the river a good recreation area? Or is it like the Potomac in DC and the Hudson/East river in NYC - adds to the scenery, but you don't dare touch the water.

Autumn Along the Chattahochee - YouTube

You will love the Chattahoochee riverwalk. It's 15 miles long and have tons of art along it.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:04 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,659,581 times
Columbus has alot of other things than just Ft. Benning. Largest corporate base outside of Atlanta, tons of outdoor activities, CSU, and a revitalized downtown to name a few. The history of Columbus is rich. Just look at all of the historic houses and museums that we have here.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:40 PM

10 posts, read 26,887 times
It sounds as if some people are jealous that Columbus has Ft. Benning and their city doesn't.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 AM

192 posts, read 385,489 times
As a transplant to Columbus, I find these circular arguments rather amusing to watch.

I came from metro Atlanta, I still get homesick for Atlanta, and sure, I can visit easily enough, it's not the same as living there.

However, at the same time, I'm also really enjoying the slower pace of Columbus. Interestingly enough, I find the weekends to be chock full of things to do down here, and it's been fun checking out the event calendar every week to see what else I can check out or do.

One size does not fit all, and I'm not sure why any one should care that Columbus doesn't appeal to some people and vice versa, why any one should care that Columbus DOES appeal to others.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:58 PM

The Battle of Columbus: The Last Battle of the Civil War - YouTube

Newsboy post in a video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA